Brads Tiger

Post your questions or information about Tiger restorations
Brad1380
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Brad1380 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Had a go at the wiper motor, looked a bit sorry for itself.

Image

Gald i did as the old grease was like putty.

Image

Gave it a touch up after final assembly & the bl**dy paint reacted, looks like an MG dash wrinkle finish :( so the motor assy will need redoing completely again :| still if it was easy everyone would have a Tiger i guess.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a

Brad1380
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Brad1380 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:08 am

Any ideas how to get this apart? i got a 1/4 turn out of it, a graunching sound & now it's solid.

Image
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a

martin172
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Post by martin172 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:03 pm

From what you have said, soaking the ends in warm oil may be a good start.
What is that light brown stuff in the joints?
Last edited by martin172 on Thu May 30, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad1380
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Brad1380 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Rust!
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a

martin172
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Post by martin172 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Ah.
Warm oil bath it is then.

Brad1380
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Brad1380 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:58 pm

Got it apart with the wonderfull 3in1 Super Degripant. I can see why it was a bit rough to turn the bearings were seized solid, hopefully they will clean up ok.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a

Brad1380
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Brad1380 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:34 pm

The steering column went back together ok.

Image

Nice starter

Image

Image

Got the servo apart at the moment, lots of crusty brake fluid, the vac side has cleaned up ok, still trying to get the cylinders out to look at the bores.

Image

Image

Should have more MIG gas & parts soon to carry on the welding.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a

Brad1380
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Brad1380 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:36 am

Gave up on the servo too seized to get apart, sent it to a specalist.

http://www.jlspares.com/index.htm
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a

Brad1380
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Brad1380 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Got a ride to the metal merchants in the neighbours van, the driving was a bit ruff though.

Image

Trying to sort out the O/S inner/ outer wing, it's being a pain as the wing seems to have a twist in it, the repair section doesn't fit properly & the PO has cut the old wing in the wrong place for the repair section, ho hum.

Image

Finished the N/S wing lip off.

Image
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a

Brad1380
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Brad1380 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:14 pm

Eventually got a reasonable fit, had to extend the repair section top & slice an 1/8th wedge from the end, rewelding the fold over as i went.
Just need to clean up & paint the inner section before welding.

Image

Also the postie delivered some parts to day along with these, other than expensive ceramic coating i think i'm just going to blast them & use VHT paint.

Image
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a

Brad1380
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Brad1380 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Cut the o/s rear wing back to good metal, tried to keep the cut by the wheel arch within the inner section profile so it won't be visable from inside the boot. Going to need quite a few patches before the wing section goes back in.

Image
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a

Tom_HRO260
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 5:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Tom_HRO260 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:29 am

Image

Hi Brad

Are you going to leave the bottom patch panel you have at the rear of the front inner wheel arch as an access panel? I'm toying with the idea of placing either a couple of grommets or a removable plate to allow access to the sills for periodic waxing/fish oiling.

Work looks to be progressing well - v impressed with your metal skills there.

On an aside, I saw a similar driver to yours on a Croatian visit!

Cheers, Tom

Brad1380
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Brad1380 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:08 am

Hi Tom,
think i'm going to add drain holes which i can inject wax into rather than make the plate removable.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a

Brad1380
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Brad1380 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Not that anyone is really going to see this

Image

Image

Got a great deal on a hardly used compressor as it was 3ph, had to rewire the feed into the garage though as the exisiting outlet was obsolete.

Image
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a

Tom_HRO260
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 5:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Tom_HRO260 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:14 am

Brad1380 wrote:think i'm going to add drain holes which i can inject wax into rather than make the plate removable.
Hi Brad - sounds like a good idea - now that you have your compressor you can use an oiling wand to keep the sills "lubed". Interesting little device with an omni-directional head - basically squirts the oil/wax every which way.

Nice work on the blower!

Cheers, Tom

Post Reply