In for a penny

Post your questions or information about Tiger restorations
Mal

Post by Mal » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks redbaron, I puuled the carb last night and pulled it apart. Couldn't see anything blocking any holes. Blew compressed air through allof them. Refitted it and still the same. I do have another carb to try.

Chhers Mal.

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 am

Tryed the 580cfm street avenger :) Much better. Something is wrong with the 600cfm 1850. The guy that set it up and put the new kit through said it would be close, yea right.

redbaron

In for a Penny

Post by redbaron » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:42 am

Mal,
that's good news to hear that the 580CFM Carb is allowing the engine to run better,do you have all 8 cyls running now and have you got a smooth transition from idle to power during throttle increase up the rev range?

Sounds like that Holley is close to going in the bin!! although sometimes these old carbs are just not rebuildable in terms of cost etc.maybe there is an internal blockage in the metering block which will not clear due to the carb being an old and unused item with corrosion in the small drillings.

Regards David

Mal

Re: In for a Penny

Post by Mal » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:21 am

redbaron wrote:Mal,
that's good news to hear that the 580CFM Carb is allowing the engine to run better,do you have all 8 cyls running now and have you got a smooth transition from idle to power during throttle increase up the rev range?

Sounds like that Holley is close to going in the bin!! although sometimes these old carbs are just not rebuildable in terms of cost etc.maybe there is an internal blockage in the metering block which will not clear due to the carb being an old and unused item with corrosion in the small drillings.

Regards David
David Seems to be running on all 8 now and nice and smooth from idle to power. It will be interesting to see how it performs under load. At least now i can get it working under load to see how it performs. That is once I get the steering rack back.
I still have lots of finishing of jobs to do now. The street avenger carb is physicaly bigger so I need to move the accelerator linkage rod that goes from the right side to the left further back.

Thanks Mal

Short video of the steering rack being displaced because the slipper pad is not holding it in place https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt0erFo7-g8

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:23 am

I got my rack back today. Here are some pic's of it on the bench.

Bronze bush made for the pinion end,

New slipper pad and lighter spring. Now the rack is bushed at the pinion end it does not rely on the slipper pad to engage the pinion with the rack.

ALSO THIS IS A MODIFIED RACK , that uses straight trac rods, an internal rack which is from a Morris Oxford, diamater turned down to the Tigers rack. The Oxford rack measured the same as a Midget rack. Steering arms are MGB.

On the bench it runs as smooth as silk :D
I am sure once it is in the car the new bush will make it feel the same as it does on the bench.

TXJ7

Post by TXJ7 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi Mal,

I've just had a similar situation with a dodgy 1850 600 carb on my 302 and traced it to air being sucked though the hole behind the choke mechansim mounting bracket plate. There should be a circular paper gasket (about 10mm in dia) covering the hole just below the left most mounting screw, between the carb body and the choke mechansim braket.

I had forgotton about this and had actually removed the choke mechanism without blocking said hole afterwards, causing the mixture to lean out and could hardly keep the motor running.

Might be woth checking if you did want to revert back to the 1850
Tiger Mk1 (289)
Jag 3.4 Mk2 (rusty!)
Cortina Mk1 Estate (302)

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:06 am

Thanks TXJ7.

I will have a look at the carb one day. I have also been told that some gasket sets don't have all the holes for the metering block and will block fuel getting through. The street avenger is on now, so will probably stay on.

Still I would like to sort out the 1850 if I can.

Cheers Mal

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:45 am

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyDk_pRtlug

Lots of work to do.

Gear box is leaking oil badly from the top. Which is annoying since I had it striped down and checked over. I have read somewhere there can be problems with vent but can't recall where and what the cause was. Any help appreciated.

redbaron

In for a Penny

Post by redbaron » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:24 am

Hi Mal,
the gearbox vent is located in the gearbox top cover,it is a small hole about 1/8ths size.
Is the box overfilled?

Mal

Re: In for a Penny

Post by Mal » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:37 am

redbaron wrote:Hi Mal,
the gearbox vent is located in the gearbox top cover,it is a small hole about 1/8ths size.
Is the box overfilled?
Hi David,

I think it has the correct amount of oil in it. Filled it up to the fill hole which seemed about right with the manual. Though hard to measure as I had a couple of spills filling it.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:57 am

Is the oil definitely coming out of the vent hole Mal?

Nice to see the car running mate. :D

P.s. Is that really your drive?

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks Martin.

Hard to know where exactly where the oil is coming from. The gasket for the top cover would be new so it should not leak. So it only leaves the vent hole. If I have managed to overfill it then it could be the problem. Fingers crossed it's that simple.

Yip our driveway, shared with 4 others though. None of them have cool cars like us though, so they have to get out of my way :wink:

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Have you checked to see if there is a gasket there?
If it is losing a lot of oil, it's on the list of possibilities.

We have a private drive also but we share ours with about 200 others. :lol:

Tom_HRO260

Post by Tom_HRO260 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:14 am

Mal wrote::D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyDk_pRtlug

G'day Mal - I've been reading lots of info regarding cooling the Tiger - horn hole covers; spring loaded covers, ducting and so on. Me thinks your approach will probably prove most effective!

Looks Great!

(...and like Martin, I have some serious drive envy...)

Cheers Tom

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:53 am

martin172 wrote:Have you checked to see if there is a gasket there?
If it is losing a lot of oil, it's on the list of possibilities.

We have a private drive also but we share ours with about 200 others. :lol:
Martin, The only way I can check that now is to drop the engine and trans out. It has seemed to lessen so I am hoping it is just a bit overfilled and will sort itself out.

G'day Mal - I've been reading lots of info regarding cooling the Tiger - horn hole covers; spring loaded covers, ducting and so on. Me thinks your approach will probably prove most effective!
Tom,
That's right. Don't know why I bothered with the fancy bonnet with vents. Works well as it is. :lol: