In for a penny

Post your questions or information about Tiger restorations
0neoffive

Weather Ditto Blah

Post by 0neoffive » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:10 pm

Mal wrote:Hi Tom. Nice to see you are making some progress, though gunk scraping is not a lot of fun.

Love the sound of that engine. It would have been nice to have mine on an engine stand like yours to run it before it went in.

Hows the weather over there. 33.4 C here today :D
The weather here is all white also. Road salt keeps all our toys inside the barns or under the bed . . . . . . .Methinks the San Diego grandkids need a hug.

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:07 am

Got quite sun burnt today, fishing :D

Smoked Kahawai for tea :D .

Mal

Post by Mal » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:12 am

Thought I would do some work on the Tiger today. I had fitted the fuel tanks which I had sealed with por15 tank sealer. The passenger side tank was not in that great a condition and had some pin holes in it. Once fuel went in, it still leaked.
I still needed to fit the drivers side hinge spring but needed help :idea: The wife :mrgreen:. So with the wife sitting in the boot with some vice grips clamped to the rod which hooked onto the spring and me pulling on the rod as hard as I could she managed to hook the end of the spring where it needed to go 8) . There easy. You thought something was going to go wrong didn't you :) .

Because I had to get the passenger side tank out and that spring was back on, I had to get it off. Trouble was the wife was still sitting in the boot and when I took it off the boot came down :shock: and hit her on the head :oops:. Well got both of us really. Wife not to happy with Mal :x .
:shock: what was that you said dear :shock: :shock: .

I got the extensions for my steering rack the other day so I set the front wheels up straight aheed. Centred the rack so both track rod ends were equal distance from the ends of the MGB steering arms. Then I checked the steering from lock to lock. With every thing centerd I have about 1/34 turns going one way and about 1/14 on the other. Pulled it all out and centered it and they have not checked this themselfs. It needs another 4 teeth cut into the rack :x .

Onto somethine else.
The insulation on the wires coming out of the wiper motor don't look to good so I pulled that apart. Desolderd the wires replace the ones I could and put some heat shrink insulation on a couple which were not solderd on. Put it back together and it worked :D .
Well for about 30 seconds anyway :x .

Time to call it quits for the day. Might have a beer. Better make sure there are no sharp edges on the bottle opener or i am likely to cut myself.

Cheers Mal

Tom_HRO260

Grilled Fish

Post by Tom_HRO260 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:08 am

Mal wrote:Got quite sun burnt today, fishing :D

Smoked Kahawai for tea :D .
Hiya Mal, a not so pleasant 40deg here yesterday and a balmy 29deg overnight. Phew! I reckon you could have grilled your fish on the bonnet of a Tiger without the engine running.
martin172 wrote:Tom, any more pics of the engine?

What ci is it and what is it's spec?
Hi Martin, the engine's a DART 4.1.25" bore block with a 3" crank and after a bit of shaving off the top of the pistons, 321ci by my best mats. I've run it up on the engine dyno and it made low 400's in torque and hp so pretty happy with that. I can post a video of the engine dyno pull if you'd like. Despite the numbers, the roller actually makes it pretty sedate at idle.

I thought I might also post a couple of images of my resto project and should probably start my own thread rather than raiding Mal's. I am amazed at where Mal is - I saw the car when I guess it was mid stream resto and the panel work and craftsmanship is stunning. If I can get half as close I'll be happy.

Perhaps there's room for a Forum area for restorations? I know I have followed both Mal's and Brad's closely and have picked up great tips from both (thanks Brad - I now have a great dipping tank in the back yard!).

Anyway, here's a couple of images in the interim:

Historical - I believe this to be circa early 80's and pre stripes and is showing the registration as listed in the home market register. The car was originally (and will return to) Med Blue and the front flares will go.

Merry Christmas all,

Tom
Last edited by Tom_HRO260 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:23 pm

They sound like very healthy figures that your engine is making.
Plenty for a little tiger thats for sure.

I like the idea of a restorations forum on the site.
Perhaps call it restorations and projects so people can post up any other smaller schemes, cunning plans and excuses to spend most of their time in the garage they have ongoing.

I think you should definitely make your own thread and post up as many vids and pics as you like. We like pics and vids.

Id love to see that panhard bracket with to underseal removed.
Thats a quality piece of engineering work there.

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:58 pm

I like the idea too, of resto section. Just concerned we dont end up like the Alpine forum where theres so many sections its confusing.

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:44 pm

We could merge the resto idea into "Restorations & Tech Tips" or does everyone want to keep Tech Tips as is?

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:10 pm

I personally think it deseves it's own section initially and we could see how it goes but perhaps merge them at a later date dependant on uptake?

If you want to keep the number of sections of the forum down you could merge Sunbeam Team Tiger and Tiger rallying together as in the past 12 months they have only had 6 new topics between them.

Brad1380

Re: Grilled Fish

Post by Brad1380 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:14 am

[Perhaps there's room for a Forum area for restorations? I know I have followed both Mal's and Brad's closely and have picked up great tips from both (thanks Brad - I now have a great dipping tank in the back yard!).]

Hope the tanks working well for you it makes life easy, how big did you make it?
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1

Tom_HRO260

Re: Grilled Fish

Post by Tom_HRO260 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:52 pm

Brad1380 wrote: Hope the tanks working well for you it makes life easy, how big did you make it?
Hi Brad
I had access to a 44 plastic oil drum so whipped the top off that and have pilfered your lead idea as I had some flashing left over from roofing - back when you were allowed to use lead for flashing!
Started off with just the DC charger but am now using it in parallel with a battery. The 44 has allowed me to do things like door handle/lock actuators, seat frames/rails etc etc. Works a treat so again, thanks for the tip.

Cheers

Tom

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 pm

Glad to pass it on.
Looking at a Cadmium plating kit at the moment for some of the parts once they are clean.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1

Tom_HRO260

Plating Up

Post by Tom_HRO260 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:22 pm

That'd be a great touch - I think Mal has done similar on some of his hinges from memory.
Nothing like a bit of old fashioned alchemy - the HR people are probably having kittens at the thought!

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:04 am

Steering rack problem.

Dash wiring nearly complete. Just the lighter, map light and flasher on the indicator lever to go.

A couple of under car shots.

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 am

Nice rotisserie Tom. The hydraulics would make it nice and easy to adjust.

I think a seperate section for restorations would be a good idea. Easy access to others restorations would help others about to embark on such an adventure.

Like Martins idea.
I personally think it deseves it's own section initially and we could see how it goes but perhaps merge them at a later date dependant on uptake?

If you want to keep the number of sections of the forum down you could merge Sunbeam Team Tiger and Tiger rallying together as in the past 12 months they have only had 6 new topics between them.

Tom_HRO260

QuickTime Scatter

Post by Tom_HRO260 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:58 am

Thanks Mal - had access to a supplier at the right price (and I don't have the welding skills that you and Brad have) and yep, the hydraulics to make it a treat to use.

Your's all coming together nicely - boot pan looks great and that repair on the door rain channel has come up a peach. Hell of a job on the pipes as well.

Did you have to machine up a ring for the toploader to QT at all or were you able to use supplied adaptors? Are you using any kind of boot over the fork/slave assy at all?

Cheers

Tom