Continuous Ownership

Post general questions relating to Tigers
gvickery
Site Admin

Continuous Ownership

Post by gvickery » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:17 pm

I would be interested to learn from Tiger owners who have traced the history of previous owners. How successful were you, was the DVLA helpful etc?

Also from Tiger owners as to who can say they have an unbroken record of M.O.T.s going back 10, 20, 30 years or more!

Don't want to do a poll as they never seem to interest anyone!!

Graham
STOC Editor

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:18 pm

When I bought my current car (JDU 197E) it came with the new style V5C Log Book which said one owner (the previous one to me). I also did a HPI check which said one owner.

I paid the princely sum of £5 to DVLA for a history check and when I got the information back it was a photocopy of the same V5C.

Great a one owner Tiger... NOT!!

I have a green continuation Log Book with four owners dating back to 1971 and have managed to speak with three of them so far through my own detective work. They all have fond memories of the car and one said he stopped using his local Rootes dealer for servicing when they left one of the spark plugs loose!

The DVLA were rubbish! :(

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:43 pm

I have traced all of the previous owners of my car but not through the DVLA. I made a few phone calls.

I have almost all the MOTs for mine back to 1985. Only 1991 to 1994 are missing.
If you see Mr Matthews, ask him if he still has them. :D

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 pm

its more fun driving them.

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Right on Gary but can we let this thread run please!

65beam

ownership

Post by 65beam » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:29 am

i see you mention the log books for your cars. what is the purpose of the log books? i don't know too much about your registration system and what is required to continue driving the cars.

Mal

Post by Mal » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:43 am

Mine was first registered in Germany in 1966. I only know the previous owners name. I tried to find out more by posting a pic on the German forum but never found any more info.

Warren

Please Do.

Post by Warren » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:16 pm

If your car has from from the US states some Dept. of Motor Vehicles offer a search like in Calif. has a inf70 form.
I was able to track my car back to 1982 with similar detective work when I found the earliest PO for my car. I am still hoping he will find all his old Tiger tales and club stuff he said he had in a file....
It was/is especially important to me as my car as well as many others had parts swapped back and forth between as a multiple car owner.
Google Facebook and other social media can be useful sometimes..

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Interesting discussion, on my US car which I know from after speaking to our US guru 'Norm' is from the state ofTexas and was there a while before being imported back into the UK in the eighties. I contacted the vehicle registry office there (DVLA equivalent) and despite me giving them the Texas registration number and name of registered owner they immediately told me that they had no record on file.

Think I will try again, and perhaps I found a not very helpful 'administrator' on the day :x

Would be nice to trace the car's US history.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:47 am

I sent off a V888 form to the DVLA and in return received a photo copy of all the changes made to the log book over the years. The last few records from 1974 onwards were fine, but the copy of the original green log book which contained details of the first three owners was very poor, and disappointingly was completely unreadable (although I think the first owner might have been called Jeremy!) . Apparently when records moved from paper to fiche some of the copying was not good and so that information is now probably lost.

I did contact to the last two owners asking for details or history of the car, but of course they may well have moved by now (the car has only had two long term owners since 1987).

It was interesting to see how many different colours it has been in its life though; it was in it's original blue until 1979, then was briefly white then blue again in 1983 (possibly the Mediterranean blue I've found traces of) then its current green in 1987. It is clear from chips in the paint that it has also been banana yellow at some stage as well; body, suspension components, the lot! Information of no real value, but very interesting to me all the same.

I'd highly recommend contacting the DVLA for history of a car though as I have had great success tracing the history of my Triumph Vitesse. I wrote to the first owner who sent me the original warranty certificate and invoice. Not bad for a car he'd bought 40 year previously and sold 13 years later.

If anyone is interested here's the link to the form It cost me £5 but it wold be worth checking that the cost as not risen;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 065303.pdf

pushrod

Post by pushrod » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:30 am

I'm the 8th owner of my car. I have a file full of documentation from previous owners. Owner 6 contacted the DVLA and as Tim says the earlier details are almost impossible to read. but I do have the full list of previous keepers.

Car has always been white as far as I can tell.

I'm in the process of contacting some of the names with the hope that they may let me copy some old photo's.

Lou.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

0neoffive

Re: Continuous Ownership

Post by 0neoffive » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:44 am

gvickery wrote:I would be interested to learn from Tiger owners who have traced the history of previous owners. How successful were you, was the DVLA helpful etc?

Also from Tiger owners as to who can say they have an unbroken record of M.O.T.s going back 10, 20, 30 years or more!

Don't want to do a poll as they never seem to interest anyone!!

Graham
STOC Editor
Well now; She and I acquired B382000078 LRXFE new, and it still lives with us. Currently getting fresh paint and I'll do the interior before spring. rw