Brembo caliper's

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
H, Sunny 65

Brembo caliper's

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi
just got my self, a good pair of brembo brake caliper's off 406 coupe, couple of things i need to know, what brake hose do you use, does the 406 hose fit the tiger metal pipe? Are the bolt holes of the 406 discs the same size as the tiger discs or do they need sleave or shoulder on bolt? Does the standard master cylinder cope with the larger caliper's ?
Thanks Harry

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi
Is there a tiger owner down south, who has the brembo front brakes fitted and would let me have a look? allso could someone tell me what discs you are using with the brembo calipers, i know you have to machine a bit off the discs, but dont know which discs to use.
Thanks Harry.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi Harry,

I have the Brembo setup, and though I didn't fit them I do know that there is a small 15mm copper tubing sleeve required that allows for the calipers to be bolted without any real modications to the existing setup.

Discs you want are off a 406 Coupe, 2.2 0r 2.7 Turbo and I ended up getting a set of crossed drilled vented grooved pair for efficiency and cooling. Use your old discs as a pattern to show where the hub bolt holes are to be drilled and I think you need about 3mm off the circumference of the disc to clear the caliper housing

For the discs, used this seller off eBay, and am very pleased with them;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRILLED-GROOVED-B ... 45e8d29218

Stock servo is more than up to the job, brakes performed very well on my last trip to the Nurburgring.

The only advice I would strongly give is don't use standard Peugeot pads, but I ran with the Pagid Blue pads which are cooler and offer more bite. Not cheap but work very well with the stock master cylinder/servo setup.

Compared to Wilwood brakes (which are very very nice indeed) this option is a very cost effective modification for the Tiger indeed.

bigbob

brembo calipers

Post by bigbob » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:00 am

Hi Harry, I've fitted Brembos to my Tiger. I used Peugeot 406 discs & had the diameter reduced to suit the Tiger. Calipers bolt straight on. Steering arm needs spacing off.Minor machining needed to hubs. I had new flexie brake pipes made up At Think Automotive, with metric 1 end, imperial the other. I,m in S London, you're welcome to come & have a look. Bob

bigbob

brembo calipers

Post by bigbob » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Photos of my installation. I remember more details. Disc machined down to 280mm dia, mounting holes re-drilled in disc using original as template.Centre hole eased slightly. Back of hub had 3mm removed so disc was in correct alignment to caliper. Steering arm packed off with washers & trackrod end adjusted to suit. I went up 1/8th inch on master cylinder bore to reduce padal pressure, but I don't use a servo.

odl21

Post by odl21 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:04 pm

thanks for the interesting photos. you mean you went up a size to push enough fluid to fill the caliper pistions? larger bore master would be harder to push than a smaller bore with the same calipers.

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:40 am

Hi Guy's
Thanks, thats every thing i needed to know, great photos Bob, I am in the process of trying to find a 280mm discs with the correct offset, to keep hub standard, not sure there's one out there, so will prob use the 406 discs, I will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again Harry.

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:51 am

Hi Guy's. The Tiger is in for a major resto. I like this idea of a brake upgrade which is easily reversed. I have started a hunt here in NZ for these calipers. I may have found some Brembo calipers off a 607. Does anyone know if they are the same as the 406. Also what are you paying for these used parts over there.

Cheers Mal.

Mal

Post by Mal » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:18 am

It's OK. I have found some off a 406, calipers and disc's. Is there any budget rear brake upgrade :?:

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:42 am

Mal,

Have you thought of asking David Craw in NZ? My prsonal opinion would be to contact Dale A in the USA (dales restos) and get his kit.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat May 01, 2010 5:16 am

Micheal. I have had a look at Dales site and seen the rear brake kits. But probably as you know 850 US will turn into 2000 NZ by the time I get them here.
I have done a converson before on a Firebird and the rear kit had PBR calipers. All I had to do was remove the drum and backing plate, put longer wheel studs in as the disc fitted on these and mount the calipers to the brakets provided which bolted to the old backing plate position.
It was more a passing thought to put rear disc's on the Tiger, as drum brakes are fine for normal road use really. But I will look into it a little further as it might be reasonably easy to do useing something like these and make up the rest myself.http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 455680.htm

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Sat May 01, 2010 12:36 pm

Mal,

I have a few diffeent articles on how to make your own rear setup.. a friend here has just finshed his own on his tiger.. and he had also done it to his S3 alpine using the RX7 discs that many use.. dales original kit used fiat 124 i think.. now uses mustang.. unless you are decent at fabrication i think Dales kit is actual quite good.. and USD is not to high these days.. i thought it would be more 1200-1400 landed for you.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sat May 01, 2010 5:32 pm

There seems to be a few choices for the rear disc modification, I know some members in the UK use the Ford Sierra Cosworth rear conversion with built in handbrake. Saying that some of the racing/rally boys do have some very nice slick (and expensive) choices but the Sierra Cosworth option is certainly a "budget" choice. Saying that though, some I know have gone back to drums after trying discs. Presume you would need some sort of regulator to balance the braking power between front and rear. :shock:

Keep us to date with what you are up to Mal :wink:

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon May 10, 2010 7:02 am

Micheal. The 850 us + freight 250 approx = 1100us = approx 1500nz + 12.5% gst + approx 100nz import & local freight fees. I have been there before. If I do it again I might be sleeping with the dogs :( . I will look into the RX7 set up and if I can pick some up for nicks I will give it a go.
Saying that though, some I know have gone back to drums after trying discs.
Tony. That is interesting. Wonder why. The regulator is easy enough. Willwood make an adjustable one which is easy to install.

Cheers Mal

bigbob

Brembo brakes

Post by bigbob » Thu May 13, 2010 9:21 am

I've had Brembos for some time, but I'm struggling to find suitable pads. I'm using Hawk HPS D592 pads, which were recommended, but I find they lack "bite". I don't run a servo & the car stops ok if you press hard, but would like better feel. Any suggestions for alternative makes?