Air vents in wings/fenders

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
ANDYBL4IR

Air vents in wings/fenders

Post by ANDYBL4IR » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi I am currently working on a tiger for a friend who uses it for classic motorsport in europe.

With high temperatures and the tigers poor cooling system I am going to have to do a few mods.

We have already fitted an alloy rad setup and spaced the hood up at the rear to let air flow through the engine bay altough I would like to fit cooling vents in the fenders/wings as were fitted to classic works tigers.

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this. Has anyone ever done this before. Can i buy a ready formed tube to join the inner to the outer fender to make it look as neat as possible.

Andy

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:09 am

Andy,

There are a few different vents on the Tigers. The works rally cars had the triangular vents high up on the wings, the US based race cars had vents in the sides lower and larger.. and there were optional LAT vents for the sides that someone in the USA is reproduicing right now. some examples are:

Works rally:
www(dot)sunbeamtiger(dot)co(dot)uk/40anniversary_files/adu312b(dot)jpg

Hollywood sports cars tiger:
www(dot)dalesresto(dot)com/hollytiger5a(dot)jpg
www(dot)dalesresto(dot)com/hollytiger41d(dot)jpg

LAT:
go to webshots(dot)com and look for photos:
2181024240054462410oTDFWO
2723575950054462410KSnHVC

replace (dot) with .

B9471845

Post by B9471845 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:45 pm

Andy,

I used to have the back of the bonnet propped up until someone pointed out the huge air pressure build-up in front of the windscreen at speeds above 30mph...Try the old trick of pieces of string taped along the back of the bonnet on the motorway - they're sucked into the engine bay above 30, you're actually reducing airflow through your rad.. So I blocked up the back, allowing air only to escape at the sides - big improvement. After a race the tops of the wings are almost too hot to touch, and I've never overheated even at high ambient temperates with a normal steel rad. Admittedly my engine is not particularly hot.

I trust you've also blocked up the holes in the rad bulkhead either side of the rad to ensure all the air goes through it. (Or, before Simon James chips in, you could graft an Alpine Mk2 front end on which doesn't have those holes... :)

Good luck, Andrew

ANDYBL4IR

Post by ANDYBL4IR » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks for your help, i went ahead and made my own vents. It took a bit of time but it turned out well. I have taken pictures the whole way through and will have to get them posted up here.

I must have a look to see what holes are left in the front panel.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:16 am

the holes being reffered to are the horn holes.. on the teae site their is a techarticle on how to block these and build a chanel for the air from the bottom of the front valence
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA