Differential stamping

Post general questions relating to Tigers
jerryg

Differential stamping

Post by jerryg » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi,
Can anybody point me in the direction of where the differential stamping is on the back axle housing please? I have the tag on one of the cover bolts stating 49/17 which is obviously the ratio as it divides out to 2.88, the standard ratio.
Also, the 6 digit number that follows the letters on my gearbox casing, is this a sequential build number?
Thanks in advance,
Jerry

garyf

Re: Differential stamping

Post by garyf » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:40 pm

Hi Jerry

The Axle number is near to the Propshaft Flange on the main casing (See attachment).

Not sure what the relevance of the 6 digit Gearbox number is, presumably later gearboxes have a higher number?

The Gearbox number is listed on the Jensen build ledger, so you can check via this if its the original item?

Regards

Gary
Diff number.jpg
Diff number.jpg (147.18 KiB) Viewed 32563 times

jerryg

Post by jerryg » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Hi Gary,
Thank you for the picture, it looks like I will need to remove some paint to see that number as it looks quite faintly stamped to me. Where will I gain access to the Jensen ledger please?
Thanks,
Jerry

garyf

Post by garyf » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:41 am

Jerry

I contacted the Coventry Culture Archive based at the Transport Museum.

For a fee, they issued a scan of the Jensen ledger page with your car details confirming the build date, JAL/Chassis numbers, build ROTA details, Engine, Gearbox, Axle numbers and even the original Key numbers.

You also get a Certificate with all the above listed, similar to the type issued by BMIHT at Gaydon

The guy I dealt with was a Damien Kimberley who was very helpful, he can be contacted on 02476 234289

Regards

pruyter

Post by pruyter » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:07 pm

If you inform us about the chassis number of your Tiger I can look up your car in The book of Norman in which a lot of information about a many Tigers is mentioned.

Regards,

Peter

jerryg

Post by jerryg » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Hi Peter,
The chassis number is B9473640 HROFE, engine number 5464 F21KA and JAL number is 563181.It would be great if the Book of Norm reveals anything and if you could assist in that then thank you.
Gary, I requested what I believe you are talking about with regards a Rootes version of a Heritage Certificate a good while back early in the Lockdown period and for obvious reasons, most things were on hold. But I do appreciate the information you have freely given.
I have just been contacted again by one of the historians saying that they can hopefully now move forward in clearing a backlog of requests. This has just spurred me on to see what I could turn up myself as when I purchased the car about 6 years ago, I only had what I was told by the previous owner and what I got from a requested DVLA search.
Jerry

pruyter

Post by pruyter » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi Jerry,

This is what I have found about your Tiger in "The book of Norman":

State/Country: England
Rootes Engine number: Withheld
Body number: JAL 563181
Jensen date: 65/8/03
Rota number: 3535 (19)
Gear box: HEH 015403
Rear axle: D65/3576
Ignition Key: RM 838
Trunk key: FS 911
License number: JUD 918D
Date received: 4/91
Comments/Misc. Notes: JML Error, same tran. # as B947####. SA notation.
* Information obtained from the Jensen Ledgers
Q Questions concerning some aspects of the entry

Regards,

Peter

jerryg

Post by jerryg » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi Peter,
Thank you for the quick response. Some interesting points arising.
The gearbox number I can confirm as I checked it out with a light and mirror under the car the other day. It is interesting that the Comments/Misc section suggests the transmission number is the same as that fitted to a different chassis number, but also suggests an error in the ledger record?
I am still in the process of trying to see where the rear axle numbers are, but armed with Gary's photograph, I hope for more success when I get the chance to look next week.
Although I use a set of recut keys, I have the originals and yes the two keys are RM 838 and FS 911.
The only disrepancy, and a quite glaring one is the registration number.
This is JUO 819E, not what is quoted in the book. I have the DVLA copies of registration documents going back as far as they could supply when I requested them after purchasing the car. These all show JUO 819E, so I take it that the ledger has this wrong and the registration number they quote is very close in terms of numerals to mine.
Thanks for your efforts,
Jerry

garyf

Post by garyf » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:50 pm

Jerry

Interesting to see that the Axle number quoted by Peter is one different to the axle fitted to my car!

My build date, Chassis and JAL numbers are all very near to yours as well, in fact they probably both went down the Jensen production line at the same time?

Marvelous :D

jerryg

Post by jerryg » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Small world Gary.....

pruyter

Post by pruyter » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi Jerry,

It was my pleasure to try to help you out on this one.

Regarding gearbox numbers that are the same for different cars I can inform you that a friend of mine here in the Netherlands has an original Tiger which was sold here as "Alpine 260". When I had in the past a brief contact with Norman Miller, the author of "The book of Norman", he asked me for the data belonging to my friends Tiger and when I provided Norman with this data he answered me that he was very very happy with this information because now an old enigma was resolved for him being the fact that the Jensen Ledgers mentions twice the gearbox number which belongs to my friends Tiger.
One time this number was mentioned in relation to my friends Tiger and one time to another Tiger. Of course the other Tiger must have in reality another number.
This shows that the Jensen Ledgers were not 100% reliable...

Regards,

Peter

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:56 pm

Mine was over 600 earlier
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1

jerryg

Post by jerryg » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi Peter/Gary,
I took a photo earlier which confirms the numbers that Peter gleaned from the Book of Norm for my back axle, but every time I try to attach it to this post I am told it is too large. Thank you again both of you.
Jerry

pruyter

Post by pruyter » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:09 pm

I have stopped trying to upload picures in this website many years ago.....

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:17 pm

Photos can be uploaded but this is a third party forum that stipulates photo uploads should be less than 2MB.
'Photobucket' messed up posted images here a few years ago but that's been got around.

The Jensen Ledgers are hand written and were themselves rewritten once and several clerks had their hands on them.
They had no idea about number duplications, they simply wrote down what was on the ROTA ticket..... Excel spreads were still 30 years away!!.

If any STC member has concerns or wants to know more about the factory numbers of their Tiger please contact the STC Registrar