Aluminium radiator and stuff

Post your questions or information about Tiger restorations
Adam

Aluminium radiator and stuff

Post by Adam » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:28 am

I am thinking of upgrading the radiator in my MKII from the current standard unit to an aluminium one with electric fan in front. currently the temp rises to 85 degrees if driving gently, but goes higher, to the point of boiling, if driving harder or in high ambient temperatures.

I am planning to use a RadTec ali rad with a Spall fan, as I have seen others using those. But I would appreciate thoughts on whether my plan is sound. Whilst the rad is out, I am going to replace the water pump (which has the slightest bit of nod in the bearing) and the thermostat as a precaution and whilst the opportunity is there to clean up all the housings and gasket faces. I have also invested in a set of 'classic' silicone hoses to replace the full set including the heater hoses. I am suspicious of the heater core, so I will be checking that when I do the job too. The objective is to have something that will be up to spirited driving over long distances.

Now here is my question; When fitting an ali rad with electric fan, have others left the original steel fan cowl in place? It must add to the efficiency of the original mechanical fan, of course. And secondly, do others retain the mechanical fan? Or simply rely upon the new (thermostatically switched) electric fan, which will be a 'pusher' fan on the front of the rad.

Thank you
Adam..
Adam Moody

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:31 am

I run an alloy rad with electric pusher fan. No mechanical fan, no shroud. Also blocked up horn holes to side of rad to ensure all air goes through rad. Works fine. There are many articles on upgrading cooling on Tigers, check back through postings.
Bob

le tigre

Post by le tigre » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi Adam

Whatever you decide on radiator wise, make sure you fit a top hose filter before you start her up. Otherwise the waterways in your lovely new ( and expensive ) radiator will be full of all the rust and junk out of the block. My choice is the TEFBA filter which allows you to clean the filter without dismantling the hoses. Made by Frank Tontino in AUS. A web search will find it.

I have an Alu rad and silicone hoses and said filter from replacement. I only have a mechanical fan and have the original shroud.Yesterday it was 39.8°C here and after a two hour round trip to a meet she held a steady 88-90°F throughout. I have never had overheating problems - even on track days.

Andy

le tigre

Post by le tigre » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi Adam

Whatever you decide on radiator wise, make sure you fit a top hose filter before you start her up. Otherwise the waterways in your lovely new ( and expensive ) radiator will be full of all the rust and junk out of the block. My choice is the TEFBA filter which allows you to clean the filter without dismantling the hoses. Made by Frank Tontino in AUS. A web search will find it.

I have an Alu rad and silicone hoses and said filter from replacement. I only have a mechanical fan and have the original shroud.Yesterday it was 39.8°C here and after a two hour round trip to a meet she held a steady 88-90°F throughout. I have never had overheating problems - even on track days.

Andy

le tigre

Post by le tigre » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:01 pm

As you can see I got my Farenheit and Centigrade confused. It's the heat ! Should have been 88-90°C

Andy

pruyter

Post by pruyter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:04 pm

Or to be more precise: Celsius and not Centigrade....

Adam

Re: Aluminium radiator and stuff

Post by Adam » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:22 am

Brilliant. Thanks gents.

Any more thoughts from anyone else?
Adam Moody

Tigerfan

Post by Tigerfan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:41 am

Hi Adam,

Having had overheating problems in a previous Tiger, with my current Tiger, although sceptical, I used Frost's 'Stay Cool' as my coolant and have had no overheating poblems. This Sunday I did 120 miles in air temperatures of 27 degrees, including some traffic, with no problems at all. Perhaps worth a try?

Rich

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:15 am

I also run an electric water pump, instead of mechanical. It ensures full flow even when idling in traffic. Dump the heater totally, saves loads of problems and you don't need one with a V8 next to you.