Goodwood Revival 2017

Post general questions relating to Tigers
dpuzey

Goodwood Revival 2017

Post by dpuzey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 am

There will be 2 one hour TV highligts programmes at 8pm on Thursday 14th and Friday 15th on ITV4. See 2 Le Mans Tigers in action in the TT race.
Dave Puzey
1965 Midnight Blue Tiger
1967 Mid Grey SWB Land Rover

Used to own 1985 Targa Red Rover 3500 TP Vitesse

nicam

Post by nicam » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Is it just me getting older and more sensible but does anyone else cringe at the antics of some of the "professional" drivers in these beautiful (and irreplaceable because you can`t just build another like you would if it was a modern racecar) cars.
When that E-Type rammed the Cobra up the rear and spun him out I was shouting "Black Flag!!" There is no place for that behaviour outside of a stock car track. He should have been penalised at the least to discourage that type of driving.
Don`t get this rant wrong - I do go racing with a friend in pre-war formulas where respect and gentlemanly driving is the norm. Very necessary, I feel, in a grid with many cars worth seven figure amounts.
It would be a shame if bad driving and a subsequent fear of damage to cars caused more classic motors to be garaged rather than be seen out on circuit.

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:26 am

The E type was penalized 30 secs for the impact. There is a fine line between competitive racing in UK & the more "demonstration" races in USA. But the cars were built to race and would have had damage in period. They're only metal and can be rebuilt.

nicam

Post by nicam » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:38 pm

I totally agree that they were built to race and that they should be seen out on the racetrack in their natural environment, but they are no longer in a competitive "development" formula and the aim should not be to win at all costs, regardless of the carnage left behind.
Yes, metal can be repaired, but, afterwards, it is not the same as having the original vehicle, and, more importantly, drivers cannot and the crash protection in most if not all of these cars is nothing like a modern race car.