Wilwood brake upgrade

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Hoghead

Post by Hoghead » Thu May 12, 2016 3:54 am

pushrod wrote:There is also the option of the British made calipers from BCC. They utilise the existing discs and simply bolt on. I've had them on my Tiger for a year and I'm very pleased with the way they perform. Details in an earlier thread.

http://www.britishclassiccarparts.com/
Bolt on is attractive, however the Wilwood conversion(s) gives one larger vented rotors, and I would think therefore a bit better system overall. The added bonous for me is that Wilwood is made in the US so future maintenance is a lot easier.

Never mind that 640.00 pounds for a pair of callipers is a bit eye watering!

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Thu May 12, 2016 11:33 am

Robert. I have just measured my old disc. The OD of the hub is 66mm and the ID therefore of the disc centre I made 66.5mm. The OD of the spacers is 22mm. Important. I gave you the WRONG PCD the PCD I gave you was for the wheel studs.!!! The best way to mark the blank disc is to place on hub, when centre hole is eased and mark through hub holes or use a marker dye around the hub holes. When you face the spindle, I only took 1/2-1mm literally cleaning of the paint, but you have to go in toward the centre taking off some of the raised dome enough to give a flat surface for the calliper bracket. If you use the measurement given early for the Bracket you can't go wrong. when I counter bored the bracket bolt holes 1mm deep this was to take a washer, you could go 2mm here and therefore take 1mm less of the bolt head. There is plenty of meat in the bracket to do this and I thick would be better, you may not need to then machine the bolt head!
Tim :idea:

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Thu May 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Robert. Taken from the box the calliper came in.
Tim