Cross member

Post your questions or information about Tiger restorations
tigertim

Post by tigertim » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:22 pm

The completed X member, still got the hubs to do, can't decide which way to go with brakes, kind of blown that budget on the engine bay re-spray!!
Tim

0neoffive

Nice clean work

Post by 0neoffive » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:39 pm

FYI: I often find the lower fulcrum pivots have been installed backwards by unknowing garage techs. The shorter distance from the notch to the bushing faces forward. another 2-cents

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:55 pm

Thanks for that Randy. I did my research before I began this task. Cats whiskers 13 by Godfrey Green 1979 step by step front suspension overhaul. He makes the point underlined. I did put the vernier on them to check. its only 1/8" difference.
Thanks again for your help.

Tim :D

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Here is the finished X member with my own Wilwood brake up grade. I have put back 4 shims on each of the top wish bones, as this is what came of the Alpine axle, I assume this is correct for the Tiger. I was going to build up the axle on the car, but in the interest of time, while waiting for the engine to come back, decided to go ahead when I saw Mal's axle jacking jig. Here are the pics.

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:08 am

Four shims is what my Tiger has. It looks real nice Tim. I know exactly how much work that is as I have just done the same thing for my Tiger.

I stiffened it the same as Oneoffive has shown and also welded on a 3mm plate over the front of the X member where it narrows under the cut outs for the rack. Mine had cracked there.

I had to set mine up for the MX5 rack so I made a jig so I could raise and lower the rack, then measure for toe change ( bump steer ) through the entire suspension travel. It was surprising the difference 3mm in rack height made to toe change.

Cheers Mal

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:45 pm

Mal. I'm in the workshop looking at my axle, thinking there must be a way of setting the toe angle while off the car, looked at your post and I have come up with this. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I made these simple spring compressors when I removed the axle they are M12 studding with a bit of water pipe welded on one end. This fits into the shock bracket allowing the swivel required to release the lower wishbone and spring. top end through shock tower with an M12 nut.

If I pre load both springs using my compressors onto the front Gap gauges. with a straight edge on the discs I must be able to set toe angle. I will have to square the axle to a datum line. If anyone can see a prob with this, please post it. Also with the axle levelled I must be able to check camber with a camber gauge off the disc. Having preloaded the axle, can I tighten the bushes.
Tim :idea: :?:

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:30 am

The engine arrived Thursday, and to complete my restoration of the engine bay the X member was fitted today. I shall run up the engine next week after the exhaust has been fitted. almost forgot. The car now sits nice and level.

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Looking good. You'll be on the road in no time. Nothing like a bit of sunshine as an incentive.

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:50 pm

As this all started with the cross member rebuild I'll post the finished project here. nearly done firing up this weekend. Set myself a target of 3 months but have run over by two weeks. The exhaust is by zero, ie zero back pressure. 2 1/4" straight through with a muffler £900 all in. sales@zeroexhausts.co.uk

Tim

ImageImage

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:15 am

Hope your neighbours are more understanding than mine. I had to change from cherry bombs, which to me sounded great. But to them they were a public nuisance & I had to change them.

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:43 pm

tigertim wrote:Mal. I'm in the workshop looking at my axle, thinking there must be a way of setting the toe angle while off the car, looked at your post and I have come up with this. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I made these simple spring compressors when I removed the axle they are M12 studding with a bit of water pipe welded on one end. This fits into the shock bracket allowing the swivel required to release the lower wishbone and spring. top end through shock tower with an M12 nut.

If I pre load both springs using my compressors onto the front Gap gauges. with a straight edge on the discs I must be able to set toe angle. I will have to square the axle to a datum line. If anyone can see a prob with this, please post it. Also with the axle levelled I must be able to check camber with a camber gauge off the disc. Having preloaded the axle, can I tighten the bushes.
Tim :idea: :?:

Tim
The car is coming along nicely. Did you try using your theory for adjusting the Toe ?. Those bars I am using are for bump steer measuring. All the info here. One of the rules and regulations we have to perform on scratch built and modified cars here in NZ. http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infos ... mation.pdf
http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infos ... cedure.pdf

My tyres have a central groove and so far all I have done is measure the difference from the front of the tyres to the rear of the tyres. If the measurement is approx 5mm less across the front compared to the rear measurement then it seems fine. One day I will take it in and have it done on a machine but for now I am getting no abnormal tyre wear.

Cheers.

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:38 pm

Bob. One of the joy's of living in the country side.
Mal. No I didn't, but the guy who did the exhaust had a Dunlop tracking gauge, so I gave him a hand and we did it when I picked up the car. Interestingly one turn on of the ball joint was enough to go from toe out to 15* to much toe in. Dizzi dressed tonight only fluids priming oil pump and prop shaft to go on. Fingers crossed for start tomorrow.

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:58 pm

It runs, It growls, it's the Mutts nuts. Will try to post some vid when I've worked out how. Just a huge thanks to all those who helped and gave advice. Thank you.
Tim :D :D

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:11 am

Vid clip of engine run after setting timing
Image :D

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:39 am

Sounds great. You must be very pleased to have finally got to this stage. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.