Fuel pipe routing

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
tigertim

Fuel pipe routing

Post by tigertim » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:22 am

Can anybody advise on the best route for a 10mm solid fuel line once I have come past the gearbox trunking into the engine bay, or which is correct for the Tiger. I have headers going back on the engine and didn't want to run to close for heat or space reasons.
Tim

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:02 am

Note sure if it's the 'best' for your application but I routed my fuel line from underneath boot floor (where there is wire gauze fuel filter ahead of pump) into the spare wheel well. From there (fuel pump in well) fed the 10mm braided fuel line into the rear inner wheel arch down the B post and along the passenger (Mine is LHD) inner sill. Pretty much following the battery cable. Another fuel filter, but paper filter for smaller debris under the bulkhead (Nr false floor) and then fuel line through the firewall and into engine bay. Fuel line in engine bay is shrouded with heat resistant sheaf.

Pretty much cured my fuel vapuorisation problems, and like you the thought of a fuel pipe along hot headers married to a highly strung 'hot' stroker under the gearbox tunnel was too much for my OCD. Lesser of the evils was to run fuel line inside cabin and along battery cable. It's all pretty much secured in place. Granted, not everyone's way - but I'm very happy with the results.

I also ran my 10mm fuel line all the way from the lower joining fuel tank pipe at the back - and also a good idea to have fuel line tap under the boot floor before fuel filters and pump so that you can service/clean without having to block/drain fuel supply which can be a pain. I dispensed with the old copper 8mm (or so) tubing as I wanted to ensure I had adequate fuel rate/delivery at max revs :mrgreen:

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:12 am

Hi Tony. Relocated fuel pump to spare wheel well and managed to get a 1/4 BSP fitting onto cross feed pipe outlet, with a compression fitting to 10mm copper with tap located in notch under boot. I have had a devils own job to find a filter that doesn't have either 8mm hose tails or 10mm and when you look in side, the ports are restricted.
My first thoughts where to go through the car as you suggested. 10 years ago I was flying in an air display and had a fuel pressure gauge line crack and fill the cockpit full of fuel. So I'm going outside, just a question of where or how I come up around bell housing trunking. there must be a correct route for the Tiger.
Tim :?:

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:23 pm

tigertim wrote:flying in an air display and had a fuel pressure gauge line crack and fill the cockpit full of fuel.
Oh heck, bet that was a change of pants moment!

Have used correct braided fuel pipe, hopefully that will offer some resistance to the damn ethanol in modern fuels. Least if it starts to leak, I'll be able to smell a problem immediately and hopefully I won't have a dramatic situation like yours at altitude :mrgreen:

I suppose some kind of pipe fixing screwed securely under the tunnel will keep the pipe safe and secure. Perhaps also use some of the fuel line heat sheafing I mentioned before to be certain that you will keep your fuel cool :?:

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:31 am

Yup. bit of a brown pants moment. Mrs B thinks the car is safer than the plane, she thought it was cheaper too. until I embarked on the recent up grades. Nearly finished the fuel line, need to sleep on the last part, got some heat sheathing, hopefully the fuel won't be in it long enough to get hot!!! have it done tomorrow.
Tim :lol:

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:16 am

I also moved pump to spare wheel well. Never liked the idea of it sitting above the exhust. Also a tap & filter under boot floor. I then ran the pipe along underneath in the transmission tunnel & up above the middle of bell housing to come out behind the carb. I've added heat insulation to pipe under boot floor as I have extra silencers nearby.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:19 am

tigertim wrote:you can have a look at Le Mans. I shall be joining you bad boys :D
tigertim wrote:hopefully the fuel won't be in it long enough to get hot!!! :lol:
..if that's the plan, you'll definitely get automatic membership of the 'bad boys' crew. Good to talk the same language 8)

tigertim wrote:Mrs B thinks ...... it was cheaper too. until I embarked on the recent up grades. :lol:
8)

..tell her it's like spending the upgrades on a house 'kitchen' & 'extension' etc - all 'adds values' at the end :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:40 pm

Thanks Bob. Going to see Dave tomorrow so if I may I'll look at your car, see where you routed you fuel pipe. If you had seen the concoction of cracked rubber pipes I took out!! nearly there now just the engine to go back, ha ha
Tim
:D

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:35 am

Don't get confused. Mines not quite typical, twin pumps, swirl pot, feed & return fuel lines. The methanol line goes a different route.

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:39 pm

Had a look in your boot Bob. If you hit 88 miles an hour, does jump back to 1965? Got sorted with fuel line, know what to do now.
Tim 8)

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:24 am

Flux capacitor is next on the list.