Wilwood brake upgrade

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
tigertim

Wilwood brake upgrade

Post by tigertim » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:04 am

Decided to have a go at my own Wilwood brake upgrade to go with my new X member (restorations thread). So I visit a company here in kent called. Rally Design. www.rallydesign.co.uk with my stripped down hub. The whole exercise had to require the build with off the shelf parts, without alteration of the hub. 99% achieved, allowing the hub to be put back as stock. Parts used. Plain un drilled disc 9038 S1. Midlite radial caliper 120-7473. Midlite smart pads 150-8946K. Triumph BK23L brackets S1. which matched the holes in the Tiger spindle. The only mod to the hub, was facing the spindle to take the bracket nice and square. Had to machine 3.5mm of the bracket to aline caliper,and 2mm off in a tiny arc on the rear of bracket to miss disc bolts. Then counter bore both mounting holes 2mm deep to take a stainless washer. the bracket fits to the spindle using 7/16 bolts the long one picks up the radius arm with a 20mm spacer the smaller one just screws into the spindle. the disc centre hole had to be eezed and the four holes drilled. Two 10mm x 60 cap head bolts with 10mm spacers fix the caliper to the bracket. the only other machineing we did was take 2mm off the bolt heads that hold the bracket, this is to miss the disc. I would welcome any comments or suggested improvments. total cost less labour was £557 including vat

Image :D

bigbob

Post by bigbob » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:42 pm

Looks very neat. What diameter wheels are you using?

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi Bob. 15" But I recon they would fit a 14" with correct positive offset, and just for the sake of correctness I have the wrong radius arm bolted to that hub, put together after a beer last night.

:oops: Tim

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:15 pm

Very smart Tim. Certainly a worthwhile upgrade!!

Can you get the discs grooved or vented for this application, do you know.

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi Tony. Yes no probs, drilled and slotted. their brake expert said I would be going back every two weeks for new pads so suggested plain for now. the disc is 285mm so plenty of power and the caliper capacity was matched to the old ones so should be ok on master cylinder. you can have a look at Le Mans. I shall be joining you bad boys :D

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:25 pm

Image[/img]
I have just done the same thing using hispec, there kit requires no mod's and bolts on as the original. They have all the measurments required for a Tiger or Alpine.

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:35 pm

Not sure why my pic is 3 X the size as the other's.

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:39 pm

H. That looks nice and neat. I see Hi spec are near me as well. How much was the kit and what size are the discs. I made my own because the wildwood kit was nearly £1000 for the tiger, also available at Rally Design. I like the Brembo but even second hand they are to pricey but prob the best.
Tim

dpuzey

Post by dpuzey » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:09 pm

The Hi Spec discs I have on my Tiger are 260mm diameter and plain, I had a bad experience with dimpled and grooved discs on my Vitesse. I lent them a hub, upright and steering arm in early 2014. Had no brake problems on the Monte trip. I think the price was comparable to Rally Design.
Dave Puzey
1965 Midnight Blue Tiger
1967 Mid Grey SWB Land Rover

Used to own 1985 Targa Red Rover 3500 TP Vitesse

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:27 pm

My Discs are 285mm, if you use the 260mm as on Dave's car I think i am correct in saying they do them in a one piece disc, as i wanted the larger disc, they only do that in a two piece bell & rotor so the cost was a little more. But still a lot less than the full Wilwood kit.
Just remember cheep, does not always = quality.

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:02 pm

I agree. one thing to watch for, make sure the caliper is fully dust sealed, not all the Wilwood calipers are! The midlite I have used is. question I would ask when buying.
Tim

Hoghead

Post by Hoghead » Wed May 11, 2016 4:11 am

New member here but Tiger owner since 72 in Canada.

I have been working for days trying to find a more affordable alternative to the Dale/Wildwood kit and this article is bloody brilliant - thanks for sharing

A couple of questions for those of us over the pond:

This calliper seems a UK specific part number and the best I can tell it is a Wilwood Dynapro. I have asked Wilwood USA and awaiting an international part number.
It is far better for me to buy these in Canada or the USA

What is the application for the brake rotor and do you have a profile drawing?

I would like to buy the brackets and rotors now and get the machine work done here in Thailand before I go back to Canada so that I can get it on the car and drive this summer.
Some measurements would be helpful:
How much did you take out of the rotor centre?

What is the rotor bolt circle and hole diameter

Any chance you made a drawing of the modified bracket?

Skimming the spindle will effect the disc spacing and related 3.5mm off the Triumph bracket.
How much was the skimming?

Did you skim the hub face or was it true as is?

I will be using this with the Spridget rack conversion, and related MG arms. I see the spacer is 20mm long and to fit a 7/16 bolt. Do you have the OD? Remember the elongated hole in the MG arms, and it would be nice if the spacer covered this to keep the Authorities from asking questions

Length of the 7/16 bolts with the skimmed heads?
NF or NC thread?

Thanks for the help and great work!

Robert

pushrod

Post by pushrod » Wed May 11, 2016 10:50 pm

There is also the option of the British made calipers from BCC. They utilise the existing discs and simply bolt on. I've had them on my Tiger for a year and I'm very pleased with the way they perform. Details in an earlier thread.

http://www.britishclassiccarparts.com/
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Thu May 12, 2016 12:28 am

Robert. I listed all the part numbers here, which are from rally design. they are an online supplier and ship all around the world. sorry I have no drawings, the bolts are all UNF and I had to run a dia down set screws to get the thread up to the bolt head then cut them to length. I measured the hub centre diameter to get disc centre hole correct, and I used engineers dye on the old discs laid on the new ones to get the PCD correct, but the PCD is a ford measurement of 108mm. you will need to drill the two 20mm spacers to 7/16 as this is a little bigger than 10mm witch is the ID of the spacer. The 10mm spacer on the calliper takes a 10 x 60 cap head bolt into the triumph bracket witch is threaded M10. The discs are Renault. I am very lucky in that I did this work myself. just be careful any labour you use doesn't cost more than the Willwood Kit!!!! I have done 600 miles now, and I can tell you that I had to use the brakes in anger this week. the car just stood on it nose. Twice the stopping power of the old setup. Then I also have twice the horsepower!!
Tim
8)

Hoghead

Post by Hoghead » Thu May 12, 2016 2:58 am

I was hoping to get the machine work done here in Thailand as it is cheap compared to my native Canada. If I have to get it machined in Canada then as you say the Wilwood kit becomes attractive and easy. I can do most of the machine work here with a bit more info:

Spacers are a simple job but still not clear on the measurements

The bolt circle drilling on the disc is easy enough but if I understand correctly the centre of the disc needs to be bored to hub OD.
Can anyone advise the OD of the Tiger hub?

I think that I can get the bracket machined from your pics and description.
Bolt work I can handle by myself

Do you know which model of Renault the discs are for? I do not see any listed on Rally Design
Last edited by Hoghead on Sun May 15, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.