A Couple Of Things

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
martin172

A Couple Of Things

Post by martin172 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:45 pm

Does anyone now the proper name for those rectangular clip things that hold the badges on.
I've discovered that rectangular clip thing doesn't bear fruit on Google.

Also, while cleaning it, the rear view mirror and it's bracket became separated and I can't for the life of me get the ball thing back in the hole.
Any ideas? Is it a renowned pain in the wotsit?

Thanks.

redbaron

A Couple Of Things

Post by redbaron » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:39 pm

Martin,
do you mean the clips that hold the TIGER badge and the shields to the body,if so they are called "Friction Bush "
And to replace the mirror to the stem,you need to try and carefully push the spherical ball into the socket of the mirror back,perhaps a little lubricant might help.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Sorry, badly worded. I meant the clips that hold the Sunbeam letters on but I think on my car they were holding the rear shield on too.
I also need to know what size they are too as I imagine there are numerous different ones....metric and imperial.

I've tried everything on the mirror. I wondered if you needed to take the glass out or something as there doesn't seem to be enough room as the socket seems to like to move backwards.
I'll try some lube and cross my fingers. I don't need any bad luck tyvm. :)

alpine5gt

Post by alpine5gt » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:31 am

All the clips etc needed for all the scripts are available from Rick at Sunbeam Specialities in California.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:27 pm

Clips are hopefully taken care of now but thanks for the hint.

Had a cracking time tonight.
Yes, that's right, the mirror has gone. That's me screwed for another 7 years then.
I'll have to live 'til I'm about 200 to clear all my bad luck now.

Hopefully sorted the mirror body though.
I mistook not being able to get the ball back in with not being able to keep it in.
After closer examination I noticed that the lip of the cup that the ball sits in was worn and deformed so I had to get inside and reform it. That's when the glass cracked.
It now stays in and articulated nicely.

I don't know why I'm writing this as I doubt anyone cares or will encounter the same situation but hey.

Btw. Is it possible to get replacement mirrors. It's the oval type.
Not really bothered if it is new or old.
Actually, another old one might be nice.

Thanks for listening to my ramble. :)

redbaron

A Couple Of Things

Post by redbaron » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:28 pm

Martin,
you can replace the mirror glass in your mirror head by making a cardboard template and going into a motor factors,buy a new replacement glass bigger than the template and then take them to a glass cutting shop for them to cut and polish the edges.
When that is done a few spots of silicone adhesive will secure into the plastic head.
Good luck :D

martin172

Post by martin172 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:45 pm

That's a good idea David. I wouldn't have thought of that.
The original has broken into just 2 pieces so could be used as a template.