Facebook - Sunbeam Tiger

Post general questions relating to Tigers
gvickery
Site Admin

Facebook - Sunbeam Tiger

Post by gvickery » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:01 pm

The STOC Committee is familiar with the existing 'Sunbeam Tiger' page on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/58077944065/ and knows that several members of STOC post to it.

The Committee has though been asked recently by several members why there isn't a STOC Tiger page on Facebook.

We do not believe there is a demand for this, else it would have happened by now. But we will stand corrected.

What's your take on this? Should there being a STOC Facebook page, or?

Feedback welcomed!!

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Considering how many people use this website, would it be worth it?

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Martyn

No doubt the number of posters here has dropped off since the big 'TAC' debate.

Most visitors prefer to read rather than add anything. But then maybe the forum lacks interesting stuff to get stuck into??

Graham
STOC Editor

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:36 pm

And there's your problem Graham. A good FB page relies on contributions.

I would like to see a FB STOC page and see it succeed, but equally, I wouldn't like to see one fall on it's face.

I think it is a market that the other page already has sewn up.

You also need someone to "run" it.

JAYANDSHEL

Post by JAYANDSHEL » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Do we need our own facebook page can we not just bolt on to the existing tiger page as most of the people that post on there post on here.
Jay

tigerman7347

Facebook

Post by tigerman7347 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:47 pm

May be members would use Facebook more than the STOC site. It would be easier to upload photos. But then as said you need to someone to oversee it.

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:48 pm

As a contributor to the TAC debate I have to say I have seen a drop off here and feel a bit guilty that I may have contributed to the drop off. Sad to see Michael And Robin not contributing now and what happened to V Max?

I also pop into the FB page but much prefer here. I don't like FB as it's more like a chat room and more emotional where comments can easily be taken not in the spirit in which they are intended. I also find there is a large proportion of people who although mean well don't understand what is being said on a technical level and give poor advice. Maybe here is more for the hardened Tiger nuts ho love the fixing and upgrading and FB is for the looking at pictures and chatting.

I obviously have my own FB account but rarely use it.There is obviously a market for it but it's not for me.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:42 pm

the tac debate did do some damage, not sure why as its a forum and everyone has the right to get there point over without throwing the toys out of the pram .
there isnt much going on within the forum and i think it would benefit from more rooms .i go on the saoca most nights although it is an alpine forum it has tiger and harrington sections .why not have a harrington forum and alpine .or are tiger owners too superior .

and is there no easier way to post pics onto a forum .like others have said facebook although i dont like it is so easy to post pics .

disclaimer .my comments are not meant to be grounds for an argument purely my view from up north

:lol:

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:25 pm

Well yes I do think it did some damage but having just looked at FB there's more TAC loving there than anywhere else. Is it TAC , the type of website or something else which is making people like or dislike certain forums. Seems to be politics involved here which takes the love out of owning the cars. For me it doesn't matter, 26 years of Tiger ownership isn't changing my love of the car but being made to use FB would stop me being part of the club.

Actually I've done a bit more digging and there seams to be more anti TAC in the US due to lack of information on what work you can do to a Tiger shell before it becomes deemed as an Alpine, which was my point in the STOC TAC debate. TAC seems to be dividing Clubs and Websites.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:20 pm

the tac thing is a load of nonsense in my opinion .what would the americans think if brits decided we should have a tac type scheme for an american car .and what makes them the experts ?.
ive also hear that there are reshells that have passed a tac .not sure if its true but i think its possible as a well trained chimp could replicate jensons work .

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:52 am

Getting this thread 'back on topic' as per the original question, can I also ask if any STOC members are active general users of Facebook. Suppose difficult to establish without a questionnaire type update communication from all members. I'd guess less than a third are Facebook users amongst traditional long term owners, with the younger generation being more active. Suppose it's difficult to establish a user profile online. Even conducting an online poll will be skewed towards adopters of technology ;)

Another Question I have, as I'm not an active user of Facebook, does it actually need somebody to manage the page, or do you simply appoint active users amongst the group?

Gents please note TAC discussions and reshells discussions are already discussed in-depth on a separate thread. This is a thread to gauge interest or support for a Facebook offering. Keep this thread 'on topic'

Red Race Tiger

Face Book Page

Post by Red Race Tiger » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Tony,

Here's my experience of the Sunbeam Tiger face book page.

I joined in during 2013 and made some post's, what i quickly learned was that the admin was American and that members were in the majority from the U S and had their own little "clique"

If anyone dared to make a comment that did not go with the traditional "American Shelby" hype then they are slapped down by the whole "Clique"

Take a look at recent post's on there where they are pulling Ken Hubbards car to shread's, Kens car may not be to everyone's taste but it went way to personal for my liking and nothing short of spiteful.

I have no time for i'll informed bullies who try to impose their way on the whole of the world so i left the page.

I have indeed thought of opening my own F/B page dedicated to the Tiger here in the UK for the UK, i also mentioned it to Graham.

I do think that yes an STOC F/B page could succeed providing it is UK owner based, polite and un-corrupted form oversea's as is already.

UK owners should be allowed to discuss any aspects of the UK built Sunbeam Tiger ( Even the TAC debate ) in a polite manner and without fear of being slammed down from abroad.

Along with Gary i do think this whole TAC thing isn't over, especially as it now seems that it has been sanctioned in the UK by the STOC

As the 50/50% vote clearly indicated 50% are in agreement that it isn't required here in the UK but still it's been ushered in very quietly regardless.

Topic's such as TAC could easily be discussed ( and Liked) within a F/B page, and why not?

Possibly it's a better place to do so than the STOC forum after all, and posting images would be a far lot easier also.

Regards.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Interesting. Maybe we should discuss the pros and cons of each, the traditional forum or a Facebook platform.

Forum offers a 'library' source of information where contributors make up a wealth of knowledge that a lot of folk can call on, especially the Tech section. I know that posting pictures on forums can be a bit clunky and accessing this forum on smart devices such as phones, tablets and iPads can be a bit frustrating I know.

Facebook, I imagine offers a timeline and current affairs with everyone's participation without any 'qualified' advice. I imagine that posting links and photos using videos and other photo hosting websites can be very easy to use. Would be nice to see more media content, pics and videos.

As I say I don't use Facebook, but another question - would a UK Facebook page also sit along and merge with other global Facebook Tiger pages or would they remain separate?

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:03 pm

I have to agree that some of the current Facebook page members were unkind about Ken's car, but it was just a few people.
In any large group, you are always going to get a few like that.

You were never going to get an easy ride on there though Paul as I think your card was marked after some unkind things you had to say about our cousins elsewhere on the net.

I don't think there is anything to discuss as far as TAC is concerned.
If you want your car TACed, you get it done.
If you don't like TAC, you don't.
It's as simple as that.

It sounds like a UK Facebook page would just end up being another place to argue about it ad infinitum and we've seen what that achieves.

Red Race Tiger

Facebook page

Post by Red Race Tiger » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Martin,

Never going to get an easy ride...why? because i dared speak my mind rather than following the flock.

Yes i do have opinion's that differ from all the old wives tales and pro American rubbish, i'm fed up of hearing it all.

The few that trashed Ken's car are exactly those that would overrun any STOC page also unless it was UK only and or very closely vetted. What if it was your car being ripped to bit's on a public forum?

The Tiger was a British designed and built car in British factories, and long overdue that this was celebrated as such wouldn't you think? instead of all the endless pro U S jingoism.

Forum's and F/B are sposed to be fun. Isn't it long overdue the car was taken back as such and UK owners had their own voice?