Hi new help would be great

Post small ads for Alpine and Tigers parts.
garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:40 pm

i very much doubt that went to the states .the id may have .does anybody know if the sale went ahead ?

answers on a postcard

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:53 pm

California for restoration? do me a favour.

Wot on earth would they want with a RHD, this is being re-shelled somewhere, and if it was done well enough it should be declared as such and live again.

But we had 49 pages of that so lets not go there.

As for this one being worth 8-10k ???

Be real Tony.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:59 pm

Red Race Tiger wrote:As for this one being worth 8-10k ???
Be worth more if it was red. Image

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:04 pm

This thread has turned into open heart surgery with a conscious patient.

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 am

The car looks reasonably solid in the photos, but is it?

I know of a tiger being restored that looked great underneath. After spending 2 weeks scraping the original underseal off the original primer was still ok. The car was then sand blasted and it revealed that the floor pans were paper thin and lots of other areas needed major work.

Vary dangerous to assume anything good as the rust is hidden deep inside these cars.

Budget for sills, wing bottoms, inner arch, wings, floor, tunnel and door repairs at the very least . You may find more work or get lucky but be realistic :(

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Red Race Tiger wrote:Give it some more of what Tony's on :D
Must be what they put in the mince pies this time of year.

If the lad was to go to market with the Tiger, say eBay, or on the classifieds for the forum - is there a good time of the year to sell? or would the prospective buyer be looking for a project at any time of the year. Trying to gauge whether there would be more interest selling something like this in the Spring rather than into the Xmas holidays.

That earlier Tiger destined for California, I can imagine they swept all the bodywork into a box, and made a handsome apple pie with the crop :mrgreen:

martin172

Post by martin172 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:03 pm

I think it was that handsome padlock that they were really bidding for.

I would imagine that spring/summer is the best time to sell any rag top car regardless of condition.
You just have to hope it isn't harpie season.

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:30 am

The 'apple pie' Tiger went to Australia along with a SIV shell. I hope and expect our antipodean friends will be licking their TAC pencils!

And what's with this negative talking down of prices Gary. From where I sit I see strong buying interest helped by there not being that much stock out there. Recessionary conditions here are underwriting prices.

What should folk with a hankering for a Tiger do? Put their £30 grand in to a cash deposit that will be worth less next year as it will if put in bonds and since you can't get a piece of property with that kind of cash - in most parts of the country - that leaves the stock market which should give a better return but how does the 'fun factor' in that compare with a Sunbeam Tiger.

Graham
STOC Editor

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:00 am

i,m not talking prices down .when selling anything the price needs to be realistic .having had 2 cars fully restored in the past 3 years i know how much these cars cost to rebuild .hence why you cant pay that much for restoration projects of this type .tha car in the pics will need twice as much as you thhink.thats why i went for a californian tiger rust free at a cost of 9k .

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:07 am

garyv8tiger wrote:californian tiger rust free at a cost of 9k .
OK, I'll have one of them. Rust free complete Californian Tiger for £9k. Let me know when to expect delivery. :roll:

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 am

Chris if you can put the suspension back on your car and get some wheels and tyres on it to roll it around you will be able to get the car outside and take some good photos which will help you sell it. Empty the car of all the rubbish first though. Wheels are Ford 108PCD fitment so you should be able to pick some up cheaply enough. the front suspension only has 4 bolts to hold it and the rear is also 4 bolts. A few hours work and you could have a rolling shell and much easier to sell.

As Martin says take photos of all of the parts.

As for price we are all "armchair experts" and have wildly different ideas so you could ebay in the new year or sell to someone privately if you prefer. As only 1 or 2 projects surface every year I dont think it matters when you try and sell it as there are always people wanting them. Just avoid Christmas. :wink:

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 am

In my opinion i will have to side with Gary here.

I to personaly believe that Tiger prices have been mega hyped up and are unrealistic. This recession is a killer and our fuel prices are nothing short of legalised government theft.

This Tiger even if complete (although disassembled) will need a very min 20k investment to make it viable, and for sure by the time it's been blasted there wont be nothing left of that "Solid Chassis" and then the true costs start to mount up.

Iv'e seen this "Lets all invest in classic cars" before in the previous 1990's recession, even big Banks foolishly invested too, and then the bubble burst and people lost serious money......it could all quite easily go the same way again.

As i said, with Gary here. 5-6k tops

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:55 am

Tra la la la la.....la la la la.

Merry Christmas everyone. Image

Well Chris you know what you will get if you sell it on here.

Tidy it up, photo everything en masse a stick it on ebay.

If a wreck can get £5.5, you'll do ok.

Oh, and wait till the Spring to do it.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:41 pm

Ash wrote:we are all "armchair experts"
Great description, couldn't have put it better myself.

Red Race Tiger wrote:need a very min 20k investment to make it viable,
True enthusiasts don't get too worked up about the 'commercial viability' of a restoration - it's usually a labour of love.

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:59 pm

110% true Tony.

And by the time you've spent the 20++++k on the car, plus buying it in the first place plus stuff you never even thought of wot's left?

A car that's just about (if you're careful) worth what's been invested into it, unless the market takes a down turn and you're out've pocket then.

I'm not trying to put a dampener on this sale....All the best to Big Chris, just be realistic is my advice.

Forget the hype, if it's advertised now or in the new year on ebay or wherever the market will decide.

Christmas never got in my way, if i wanted something i bought it regardless or what time of year it was, someone who's looking for a Tiger to restore isn't likely to let Christmas get in the way either.....

All the best.