Hi new help would be great

Post small ads for Alpine and Tigers parts.
big_chris

Hi new help would be great

Post by big_chris » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:47 am

Hi there i am new i am joining up to try and sell a Sunbeam tiger Needs a restoration. It was my Dads it came of the road a good 15 year ago and been in a lock up since. no point letting it hide it may as well let some one have the enjoyment of restoring her. First date of reg is 12/01/1966 my dad got it in 1974 Will get pictures up soon she is Blue

Chris

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 am

Chris the VIN and JAL numbers will be useful as well. They are 2 metal tags attached on the scuttle in the engine bay.

As for photos images of the exhaust pass throughs in the X section of the underside, rear spring hangers and internal ones of the floors will be useful to prospective buyers.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:12 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the post and we will certainly try to help it, it would be great to get another Tiger back on the road :D

Assume your father had the car a little while and some history is always worth putting together when selling a Tiger as it would generate some genuine interest and in particular it "comforts" prospective buyers that they are dealing with a genuine and original Tiger and not a clone with a Tiger identity being reshelled with an Alpine body.

Pics would be very useful indeed, and close up shots of floorpan, boot floor and engine bay inner wings would be great. Interior shots would be handy as that indicates whether the car has remained standard or not. As already said, if it is a restoration project then pics of the chassis underneath and suspension/running gear would give a pretty good idea of what restoration work is required.

If you need any help hosting the pics then let me know.

As well as the forum here (classifieds section) advertise it on the main STOC website, and also eBay would generate further interest (the latter though you will attract timewasters!)

Best of luck, and be careful of the dealers............... :wink:

big_chris

Post by big_chris » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi thanks for the info i will get pics up just can't just now but hopefully before the end of the week.

Vin B94721224.R0.FE
Engine number B9472122HR.0.EE
registration MHM 104D
have got the orginal V5 for it

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:00 pm

Chris i thin you will find the numbers will be:

Vin B94721224 HRO FE
Engine number the engine number shouldnt match the chassis number.. was the number on the sticker on the rocker covers or was it stamped on the block/heads?
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

gvickery
Site Admin

Need Help

Post by gvickery » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 am

Chris

Just to clarify the chasis number you have provided. It should be 7 numerals for a B947 Tiger. So it is probably B9472122 HRO FE.
Do you have the original logbook or the later V5. For the chassis number to be given as the 'engine number' then this would have been carried over from the original registration logbook.
This was frequently incorrectly done by registration / licensing offices in the 60's, mainly I think because they had grown use to doing this for the Alpine! The DVLA is quite willing to correct this nowadays if you ask them to and it is advisable to do so - anything to help the provenance of a Tiger.
As Michael says the original engine number can be found on the chassis plate and will look like for example 1234 S27KA and also on an applique attached to one of the chrome valve covers - if they survive on the car.

Post here or drop a line to the Club if still unsure.

Graham
STOC Editor

big_chris

Post by big_chris » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:34 am

thanks for the re-ply i have not a had a chance to look yet or get pictures up soon with the snow in Edinburgh i got other commitments hope top get some up soon

big_chris

Post by big_chris » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:22 pm

Blast from the past I am sorry I have not been on here or got back to people that messaged me thing comes up and time flies. I am still got the tiger and its still up for sale have got a few pictures its does need some TLC. hope to answer any questions

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:30 pm

Looks a nice original Tiger there, with all the correct and rare bits. Those alloys in the car are also rare and valuable. Are looking for an idea of value before you go to market?

Genuine and original Tigers ready for restoration are becoming few and far between. I would imagine if you listed it on eBay as a complete project and with documented photographs I'd expect it reach between £8-10k.

Sure you will get interest for individual items but best selling as a complete restoration - even though it has been taken apart, all the major hard to find components appear to be all there.

Expect cheeky bids from dealers.......

big_chris

Post by big_chris » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:00 am

I would be wanting to sell it complete i have got the v5 old style not got much history on it.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:21 am

Looking through the obvious visual surface rust, and am sure others will agree, that's a solid looking chassis - another attraction for a restoration project.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm probably pointing out the obvious here but the amount the car sells for is all about presentation.

You need to lay out all the parts and take pics so people can see what they are getting, whether it is a complete car in part form and can see that the hard to get parts are there like the header tank.

There seems to be a few Alpine parts hanging around. They need to go.

As Tony mentioned, you will get chancers offering to take it off your hands for £5 or 6K.
Put it on ebay and you'll get a fair price.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 pm

garyv8tiger wrote:tony you have a lot to learn about tigers
...'Dealer' talking down the price 8)

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:05 pm

the bottom of the wings have come apart .it will need a lot more than you think .look at my mk2 looked great in pics still needed all the usual bottom repairs .wonder if all the important bits are there .

i think some of the forum users think these cars are worth a lot more than they are.try selling one in a triple dip recession with fuel a £7 a gallon i think pricewise these cars have peaked so theres only one way for them to go now .

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:28 pm

garyv8tiger wrote:i think some of the forum users think these cars are worth a lot more than they are
Fair comment, explain this one that sold earlier this year for £5356 on eBay and was then sent to California for restoration;

I'd know which I'd rather have :shock:

Red Race Tiger wrote:Oh look out, Micheals back to give us all his wisdom.....
...old thread Paul