The Book of Norman - SOLD

Post small ads for Alpine and Tigers parts.
gvickery
Site Admin

The Book of Norman - SOLD

Post by gvickery » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:58 am

Posted on behalf of member Mike Broome.

Copy of the "Book of Norman" for sale. Purchased directly from Norman Miller in April 1996, the book is in as new condition. Only the dust cover has a few small marks. This very rare and excellent book is offered for sale at £1,200.00.
Please email mike.broome@hotmail.co.uk
Last edited by gvickery on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:18 am

is that GBP or USD? Without wanting to railroad this thread.. that seems like its going for a new record.. i have seen them make US$1200 in boom times..
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:06 am

michael-king wrote:is that GBP or USD? Without wanting to railroad this thread.. that seems like its going for a new record.. i have seen them make US$1200 in boom times..
Surely no one would pay GBP1200. Double that for the Aussie dollar :shock: .
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:09 am

its gbp. i bought mine on ebay in sept last year for £50,on usa ebay lately there fetching about $800,i thing ifit sells at £1200 there will be a lot of owners selling theres .only half the book has reference to the tiger,half is just build info,

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:09 am

I would agree that the book can be a good source of information and reference, I think prices have gradually risen as "Tiger guru" Norman Miller has publicly stated in recent years that he has no intention on publishing an updated or further edition of the book. He doesn't take kindly to the threat of anybody making illegal copies either - so you have been warned!!

Clearly the book now has "collector" status as prices of Tigers edge higher, can't think where I put my copy now............... :mrgreen:

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:47 am

Comments and discussion fine but lets not snipe at folks advertisements. New highs happen its as simple as that. Take a look at:
www.amazon.com/Book-Norman-Sunbeam-Tiger/dp/B002X00VRW
At the exchange rate we can buy USDollars that gives an asking price in British Sterling Pounds of £1300.

Graham
STOC Editor / Moderator

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:57 pm

looks like its cheap then compared to the amazon one,be interesting to see if it sells for that ,

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:07 am

Hi,

Does anyone know how many copies Norman had published? I can understand true book collectors paying obscene amounts for books, but that is just ridiculous. Having said that, someone will buy it for that price. I find it amazing that just keeps appreciating in value. Do Tiger owner's have too much money?

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:39 am

i think it was 1000,graham vickery would know

gvickery
Site Admin

The Book of Norman - For Sale

Post by gvickery » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Yes, Gary is right Norm did a print run of 1000. More details at www.rootes1.com scroll down to the "The Book".

I would say the lasting popularity and inexhaustible demand for the "Book of Norm Vol 1" is because of fascination with the production specifications content of Chapter Ten: "Here Comes the Judge". As Norm says "While not a complete 'end-all' check list, this chapter is a default reference for serious enthusiasts."

As for the increase in value, I was talking to a longstanding STOC member the other day who recalls selling in 1986 a complete set of new - in the packet - Tiger 2 sill trim and wheel arch mouldings for GBP30...... what would that lot set you back today?

Graham
STOC Editor
Last edited by gvickery on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michael-king

Re: The Book of Norman - For Sale

Post by michael-king » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:29 pm

gvickery wrote: As for the increase in value, I was talking to a longstanding STOC member the other day who recalls selling in 1986 a complete set of new - in the packet - Tiger 2 sill trim and wheel arch mouldings for GBP30...... what would that lot set you back today?

Graham
STOC Editor
Granted things have gone up in value.. and rare things more so.. MKII parts headlight rims etc.. clocks, spotlights, radio consoles.. but they are parts for the cars.. what irks me is the fact this is INFORMATION.. it should be information passed round for free.. not hidden to keep the value of a book up. How is someone supposed to reference what is right for the car if the information costs them this much and is hard to get?

If you go to my website i have scanned all my factory brochures info etc and you can download it FREE.. i have the originals and thats great for me.. but no reason why the info and the ability to look at the stuff should not be available to every enthusiast.

Point in case.. i obtained an original set of LAT brouchres.. i scanned the all in high res and PDF'ed them.. you can now download them free at tigersunited site.. once again.. why shouldnt you be able to view it.. print it etc.. i have the orignals.. im happy.. but i want to share the information,.

Norm put in time and reserach.. and i guess he sould be paid for it.. however i see no point in not re-issuing the info. I was born in 1979 so the odds of me buying the book in 1994 were slim.. its not a rare part.. its not a rare car.. its information we all need.. its like saying i wont reproduce parts because it hurts the value of the current stock... it just irks people and discourages them from the cars.

I should really email Norm and ask why he cant publish that section at least as a brochure.. and as many of us know.. ther are more details we now know and a few errors in the chapter.. wouldnt you pay a few $ for a nice A4 leaflet of that chapter? ok.. thats my rant..
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:48 am

Hi Michael,

You definitely bring up good points, but other have tried to persuade Norman to print a second run of the books to no avail. I don't even think Norman would post a copy on his site either. There's no harm in trying though.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:07 pm

i think posting it on his site would be unfair to the peopls who have paid silly money for there books ,as it is almost sure to decrease value and demand,although it wouldnt bother me as my book cost me £50.
on an email i got from norm miller ,when he published the book he said it didnt sell very well and took a long time to pay the bank back,so he had no desire to re publish it ,however he did say he was working on another book,but did say dont hold your breath,he also said it would not just be a re hash of the old book,
so we will have to wait and see

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:13 pm

just found this email off norm

As far as the book is concerned, I have no interest in re-publishing. It took eight years to sell the thousand copies that were printed in '93 and nearly that long to repay the bank. I am slowly working on another Tiger book, but don't hold your breath. Additionally, it will not be a rehash of "Volume 1". It turns out there is more than enough fresh information to fill a second tome.

Norm

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:55 am

Hi,

I'm not sure how Norman advertised 'the book' when they were printed in '93 (some of you may remember). It sounds like too many were purchased initially if it took that long to sell them. The old saying, once bitten, twice shy comes to mind. Hopefully there will be another book published by Norman... I will confirm mine now :) . Maybe he should do something similar to this site, when 'the works tiger' book was getting ready for publishing to confirm true numbers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the second book.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a