Shock Absorbers

Post small ads for Alpine and Tigers parts.
pushrod

Post by pushrod » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:45 am

Koni's are becoming difficult to source for some older cars.

I wanted a set for my 63 Falcon Sprint as they were the original fitment to the works rally cars. the rears are the same as a Mustang but the fronts for the US Falcons had been discontinued.

On a off chance I tried Koni's for an Australian Falcon and bingo - they are still made. I ordered a set from Melbourne and they fitted perfectly.

Koni in Holland would't supply them to me direct as they are made in batches for the Australian importer. This is probably the same set up that they've got with SS in America. Perhaps if enough sets are ordered they may supply them to the UK.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

garyf

Post by garyf » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:45 am

I've actually bit the bullet and ordered a full set from the US Company.

Not cheap, but I've fitted Koni's on my two previous Classics and been impressed.

Just got to wait for them to be shipped over, then get them fitted.

Cheers

Gary

garyf

Post by garyf » Tue May 29, 2018 11:14 am

Got the new Koni Dampers fitted yesterday, I've left them at the factory settings which are I've been informed set soft.

Ride quality seems improved but have also fitted new Alloys and Tyres so these may help too.

I can't work out how to post photo's though? [/url]

FDub

Re: Shock Absorbers

Post by FDub » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:51 am

So I went ahead and installed the Koni shocks ...
Attachments
Koni and Spax Rear Shock Tiger.JPG
Koni and Spax Rear Shock Tiger.JPG (173.52 KiB) Viewed 11681 times
Koni and Spax Front Shock Tiger.JPG
Koni and Spax Front Shock Tiger.JPG (196.19 KiB) Viewed 11681 times

FDub

Post by FDub » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:52 am

They are clearly of high quality construction and are certainly considerably more beefy than the Spax units which came out. I think the piston rod measured 16mm against the Spax 12mm so 33% thicker. The bodies are significantly larger as per the photograph.

Installation was straightforward

Adjustment is done by popping on a little plastic "key" to the top of the piston rod and turning. I haven't actually done it yet, but one should be able to adjust the fronts by simply turning the wheels to full lock and reaching into the wheel well. The rear adjusters are also quite easily accessed (under the folded hood and removing the rubber grommets).

As my car is somewhat lowered and firm, and has quite limited suspension travel, I wasn’t expecting too much from this update. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was a very definite improvement in ride quality and comfort.

I will be returning the car to something closer to OEM ride height settings before too long and I look forward, then, to the full benefits of the quality and adjustment afforded by these Koni shocks. In the meantime I am very pleased with the results I have obtained at this stage.

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:05 am

Nice shocks.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1