Scimitar axle

Post small ads for Alpine and Tigers parts.
richard1

Scimitar axle

Post by richard1 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi I'm building a V8 alpine, I'm using a scimitar rear axle. Whats the best way of getting round the fact that the wheel bolt pattern is slightly different??? Do I use the scimitar brakes and re-route the hydraulics and handbrake cables and use wheels with the scimitar pattern? I can't see the alpine half-shaft fitting the scimitar axle!!!!! Any help greatly appreciated Richard

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi Richard,
The only way to overcome that issue that I can think of would be to either live with the two differing stud patterns or knock out the wheel studs, weld them up and have them re drilled to suit the Alpine/Tiger stud pattern. Good luck with it.
Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

richard1

scimitar axle

Post by richard1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:39 am

gtsmrt wrote:Hi Richard,
The only way to overcome that issue that I can think of would be to either live with the two differing stud patterns or knock out the wheel studs, weld them up and have them re drilled to suit the Alpine/Tiger stud pattern. Good luck with it.
Regards, Robin.
Thanks Robin, Different wheels is easier (can of puncture repair in boot!) but re-drillings a better job. regards Richard

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:11 pm

If the car is a genuine alpine v8 I would get some rear hubs made correct 108PCD (4.25").

If it is a car you are converting for your own pleasure it is easier to re- drill the front hubs to match the Scimitar rear axle 114.3PCD (4.50"). The hubs are cast steel and very strong.

richard1

scimitat axle

Post by richard1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Ash wrote:If the car is a genuine alpine v8 I would get some rear hubs made correct 108PCD (4.25").

If it is a car you are converting for your own pleasure it is easier to re- drill the front hubs to match the Scimitar rear axle 114.3PCD (4.50"). The hubs are cast steel and very strong.
Hi Ash
It's one I'm building for myself from a near rust free shell, I've decided that I'm going to re-drill the rear halfshafts as I've got a set of genuine minilites from a tiger.
Regards Richard

S113LBY

Re: Scimitar axle

Post by S113LBY » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:47 pm

richard1 wrote:Hi I'm building a V8 alpine, I'm using a scimitar rear axle. Whats the best way of getting round the fact that the wheel bolt pattern is slightly different??? Do I use the scimitar brakes and re-route the hydraulics and handbrake cables and use wheels with the scimitar pattern? I can't see the alpine half-shaft fitting the scimitar axle!!!!! Any help greatly appreciated Richard
Hi
I read with interest that you've fitted a scimitar axle to your tiger.we are cuurently investigating the possibility of fitting a scimitar 4HA salisbury rear axle.can you tell me if this is the same one you've fitted and what mods did you need to do to it E.G width of axle.did you need to shorten it at all ????
thanks
Di

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:00 pm

If you PM Red Race Tiger he has some Scimitar axles fully converted with the correct brackets etc for a Tiger. I think the Scimitar axle is wider than the Tiger one but wont need shortening as the original Tiger rear axle is much narrower than the front. A wider rear will bring the wheels more in line.

S113LBY

Post by S113LBY » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:24 pm

many thanks.will investigate further.have looked at dimensions for both axles and found the tiger axle measures 51.7 inches and scimitar axle measures 52.5 inches,so looking promising as a straight forward conversion...and as these tiger axles are like hens teeth its a good alternative.we were lucky and managed to buy a front and rear axle off ebay for 158-00. :lol:
always nice to have this sort of info available and thanks for your help.
:D
Diane

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 pm

what diff and halfshafts are you going to use?

S113LBY

Post by S113LBY » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:46 pm

early stages of project,but will investigate using originals.hubby can go out in the cold and strip it down :lol: think he's been looking at jag diff,but not done enough research on it yet.it's one of those things thats worth knowing what options you can use when classic car parts become hard to find.we have a complete tiger and a basket case,but in our opinion it's better to have as many of these cars on the road as possible......lets face it....they are a dying breed.

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Converting Scimiter to Tiger is not so straight forward but here are some pointers.

The Scimiter axle is similar to the Tiger but does differ in several ways.

For example the Scimiters hand brake cables exit at the front of the backplates (allowing the use of a Watts Linkage diff cover) as opposed to the Tiger at the rear with panhard rod.

Also as pointed out the Scimiter has 12mm metric wheel studs with a different PCD to the Tiger with 7/16 unf.

1st, Find an Alpine Series 1>4 (Not 5) axle with bolt on steel wheels. From that you will need to carfully remove both the spring platforms and shockabsorber mounts, clean up for re-welding.
Also remove the hubs, backplates and drums complete.

2nd, Remove from the Scimiter axle all the redundent four link brackets and spring sadles, clean up for re-welding.

3rd, Remove the hubs drums and backplates. These are now of no further use.

4th, After careful measuring transfere over all four brackets from the Alpine axle with a good standard of welding. If a Panhard Rod is to be used you will need to fabricate that bracket ( I had a batch bent up/made) or utilise the Watts cover from the Scimiter but, this will interfere with the Alpine/Tiger hand brake cable.

The Std tin plate Salisbury diff cover is near identicle as a Land Rover's which can be found new on ebay. (A hand brake rod support tube will need to be welded on)

5th, Re-fit the complete Alpine backplates and drums etc, the Alpine rear hubs also fit straight over to the Scimiter half shafts also so this will cure the differing PCD stud pattern. :idea:

Std Tiger Ratio = 2.84 Scimiter = 3.43

What you end up with is a slightly wider Tiger spec Salisbury 4ha.

S113LBY

Post by S113LBY » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:00 pm

thank you
your info is very valuable.alpine parts not a problem we've got some kicking around somewhere.

diane :D