Rootes/Pressed Steel History.

Post questions or infirmation about the factory history of the Tiger
gtsmrt

Rootes/Pressed Steel History.

Post by gtsmrt » Sat May 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi,

After touching on the subject in another post, it came to light that very little history regarding Pressed Steel and Rootes is available. I guess it's following on from what Graham posted from page 6 of the re-shell thread. It would nice to know what known information is out there. I guess I am after a history lesson of sorts (and something new to discuss). I guess we can start where Graham left off or what is known about the production lines at Pressed steel.

Thanks, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:34 pm

Robin.
I"m bit too far away from things right now to do your question justice. but from memory I think I can say that Tiger bodies left Cowley without;
- Motor, transmission, rear and front axles nor any Ford ancillaries
- Front wiring harness, interior soft fittings.
The forum isn't the easiest medium for classifying this stuff if folk are looking for an exhaustive description.
Cats Whiskers 88 does carry an article and photos of a Tiger shell at Cowley.

Graham
STOC Editor

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:42 am

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply. I to find myself away for work presently. I was talking to a friend the other week regarding how far pressed steel went before Jensen took over. It led me on a quest for more information, but unfortunately very little is about. How can I obtain a copy of the Cats Whiskers 88?

Kind Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Robin. A copy of Cats Whiskers 88 can be obtained from our Membership Secretary Brian Postle eyeofthetiger@tinyworld.co.uk

Here's a small insight into Rootes / Pressed Steel - it is a section of the Painting Instructions for the Alpine as issued between Rootes and Pressed Steel www.sunbeamtiger.co.uk/Galleries/Tech/P ... epaint.JPG in October 1964. There are 64 steps in all!

I'll dig out some more info shortly.

Graham
STOC Editor

dude234

Post by dude234 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:55 pm

I'm impressed at the level of care taken to paint the car. Although, I can't help thinking a few steps may have been passed over just to get the car down the line.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:40 pm

dude234 wrote:I'm impressed at the level of care taken to paint the car. Although, I can't help thinking a few steps may have been passed over just to get the car down the line.
Yeah.

Week 1.... 64 steps.

Week 2 .....27 steps.

Week 3.......8 steps.

Week 4....what steps?

Overtime stopped.........436 steps.