Roll bar mounts

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Mal

Roll bar mounts

Post by Mal » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:05 am

Since the car has the boot floor and rear seat out to replace the chassis rails, the panel beater asked if I ever wanted to install a roll bar or bars.
It is a good opportunity to weld in some plates to the chassis to accommodate the bar. I thought I would ask those that have roll bars how they are mounted and if they had any good pics. I think the install of the bars will have to happen at a later date, but if the mounts are there we are half way there.

Cheers Mal

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:50 am

Mal, I would bolt the bar in not weld it (incase you need to remove it at a later date), and yes put in plates to brace the mounts. I have the CAT/Autopower style bar in my car, i can send pics if you like, but bascially it is mounted at each of the 4 corners of the rear parcel shelf.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks Michael, your mount points are where he said we should put them. If we need pics of the mounts i will ask. I think we have regulations on roll bars here in NZ so i need to do my homework.
I should be able to find pics of your car and see the style of your bar easily enough.
Cheers Mal.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:59 am

Michael... I think you will find that Mal was not going to weld the roll bar into position, rather to weld strengthening plates in before the body is painted.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:21 am

gtsmrt wrote:Michael... I think you will find that Mal was not going to weld the roll bar into position, rather to weld strengthening plates in before the body is painted.
Its Ok Rob, i understood that he was talking about welding in bracing plates, what i was offering was that its it better to bolt the actual hoop in rather that weld them.. the way they are supplied you can install them either way.

Even if you were welding the hoop in it would be advisable to brace the underside especially if you use the rear deck as the plates on the underside can be tacked to the vertical surfaces on the rails. In the event of rolling they are going to take quite a bit of lateral and compressive force.

As a side note Mal, the bar as installed in my car in theory are sold as "street bars" or "show bars" for legal reasons. the ones they sell as competition setups have a brace that comes forward into the passenger compartment floor.. good in an accident.. but not so good for street use.. though i have seen some with a removeable forward bar.

Another thing to consider is the odds of rolling vs being rear ended.. my head would likely make contact with the bar if i got hit from behind.. and that would be like being hit in the head with a baseball bat.. i have added foam to the area of my head.. but still something to consider.. as is making sure the hardtop and softtop can clear it. Finally.. how tall are you.. my head sits above the roll bar so my head is gogin to be the first point of contact.

Image[/img]
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:40 am

Michael,
thanks again, I had not considered the rear end collision. I see what you mean. I am 6' so my head would probarly be higher than the bar. That does seem quite comon though. I have seen it on race cars as well.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:41 am

Kind of defeats the purpose of the roll bar if it does protect the occupant :shock: :? I understand some are just for the look, but a race car shouldn't pass scrutiny if that was the case.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE