Dizzy Tuning

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
tigerguy2

Dizzy Tuning

Post by tigerguy2 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:33 pm

I recently offered up some thoughts on dizzy tuning in conjunction with the forthcoming dyno day being planned. There was a suggestion by Robin that a tech tip might be useful. After giving some thought to that, I decided I would be just reinventing the wheel for the most part.
I would like to recommend a DVD produced on this very subject by Jerry Christopherson. Jerry is a fellow Tiger owner and enthusiast here in the US. Jerry sells them for $20.00 plus shipping. It is very much a home product versus a Hollywood production, but if content is more important than form, I think you will find it valuable. He is very willing to sell them to members of the forum, but warns that you would need a DVD player that will play a DVD recorded in the NTSC format. If you are interested, e-mail Jerry at JCMC2006@suddenlink.net. I have no affiliation with Jerry or his product, am just a satisfied customer.
NB: Since his DVD was made, the source of the springs has changed. They are available from Mr. Gasket and Transdaptive here in the US. I also found an internet article that recommends running your vacuum advance off of manifold vacuum versus ported vacuum. Helps car run cooler at extended idle, like in hot summer traffic (e.g., stuck on the Motorway due to accident or construction...). I do it that way and like it. Jerry has tried it and concurs. See end of article at gofastforless.com/ignition/advance/htm for details. I do not myself go for how the author modifies the springs for tuning, but tuning the advance is done as he describes i.e, bending the spring mount tabs to change the tension. Questions to me are welcome! Cheers, Gene

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:34 am

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the information and the 'gofastfoeless.com' site is quite interesting. I don't need to tinker with my dissy as it is all sorted electronically, but the project would be very handy especially if you are on a tight bugdet (and have the know-how to build it).

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE