Oil Vapour.

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
gtsmrt

Oil Vapour.

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:25 am

Hi,

Just a question regarding oil vapour. I know as part of the crankcase ventilation system, it takes any oil vapour and returns it to the engine via the air cleaner. I have noticed that oil is condensing in the air cleaner and was wondering if this is normal or is it time for an oil change or other problems? My oil is still clean judging by the oil on the dip stick.

Thank you, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:09 am

Robin.

I wouldn't think it was normal. Is the car using any oil :?: I would take off the oil filler cap on the valve cover with the engine running and see if you have any pressure and maybe smoke coming from there.
If so. I would see if the car is blowing any smoke while driving. Check the plugs for oil deposit.

If you have pressure at the oil cap and no smoke it could be worn or broken compression rings. If there is some smoke worn oil rings.
But then I am not a mechanic.

Mal

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:07 am

Hi Mal,

Thanks for the comments. From what I have noticed, the Tiger hasn't been using oil or blowing any smoke and has never had any oil fouling of the spark plugs. I will however check the plugs and PCV valve for any issues. Reading the WSM, the filler cap is where the clean air should be entering the engine.

Thanks, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:53 am

Hi,

In relation to my original question, could a vacuum leak cause the disruption to the air flow of the crankcase ventilation system? I found a vacuum hose from my pressure regulator had come off at the throttle body.

Thanks, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:36 am

I have heard that if your PCV valve fails it can cause problems like you describe. My Tiger never had one, and the new engine has not been set up for one as yet. I think I should do some research myself.

Mal

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks for the reply Mal. I am hoping it is that and nothing worse.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:46 am

I had a quick look at another car forum I participate in. Discussion on the correct route of the valve and tube is to ported vacuum, ie to a fitting in the intake manifold or to the base of the carb. Below the throttle blades of the carb.
It could be a good :?: to ask the supplier of your new fuel injection system.
Has this just occured since the change :?:

Good luck Mal

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:14 am

I have been refreshing my memory with the crankcase ventilation system in the WSM. My system is plumbed up correctly and has a reasonably new PCV valve. The efi setup has provision for the PCV hose to the manifold,so is as it should be. I have had some problems with the hose that I previously mentioned though. The barb on the throttle body is different to the barb on the pressure reg. I have tried a different hose, so will see how that goes.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:18 am

Hi,

Just checked a few things and let my engine run up to temperature and I am pleased to say that my engine is not pressurising. I have no air blowing back through the filler tube. I have a feeling it was the loose hose on the throttle body. Will see next run. :)

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a