Brake servo

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Mal

Brake servo

Post by Mal » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:21 pm

I went to clean up the brake servo and give it a coat of paint. Looking at the threads for the brake lines, and on removal of the rear cover it had brake fluid in the vacuum chamber. I thought it best to rebuild the unit.
It has a Lockhead servo replacing the original. Part # seems to be Q476, of which I can find no info on.

What do you guys replace yours with, or recomend remembering I have the Brembo brakes up front and retain the drums on the rear.

Cheers Mal.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:45 am

Mal,

There is a PBR VH44 (IIRC) servo that can be used to replace the servos in the sunbeams. They are AU made it hink and readily available, just make sure you get the right boost ratio, i cant remember which one ot ask for (might have been same as a mini replacement or 60's holden.. will see what can dig up)
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:19 am

Michael is this the one you mean ( I found doing a search )
or is the PBR VH44 a better unit to use. They say VC44.
Brake Servo Sources in Australia

Wally Menke

Thu, 28 Jan 1999

For people on this list in Australia the alternative 5" brake servo was made here by PBR, model VC44. This unit is a remote unit that was fitted to locally manufactured cars in the mid-late sixties. This included HR Holden Premiers (GM), Ford Falcons and VC Valiant Chyslers. You can pick good rebuildable units up at swap meets very cheaply (A$ 10-50). This is a reliable unit that can be rebuilt at a fraction of the cost of the original Girling unit.

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 am

Michael do you use a dual circuit master cyl on your car or are you still using the original MC.

Thanks Mal

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:48 am

Mal,

I am not running a booster, and am running the original MC. As i am LHD i have been debating about switching to the datsun Z master, or perhaps the subaru one as they are a straight forward swap for my car. With RHD it can be a little tricky, Wally who you quote is a good friend of mine and lives very close. He runs a dual MC setup and can get you some pics and info on that if you would like.

As for the PBR unit, i would say if wally said that it will be true, however i am quite sure that people have recently been using VH44 which might be PBR's modern replacement for the VC, i think it is also comon to the cooper S but in a different ratio. Might be worth giving PBR a call.. but im quite sure the VH44 is the one you can get new for around $300.
Michael King

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:33 am

With RHD it can be a little tricky, Wally who you quote is a good friend of mine and lives very close. He runs a dual MC setup and can get you some pics and info on that if you would like.

As for the PBR unit, i would say if wally said that it will be true, however i am quite sure that people have recently been using VH44 which might be PBR's modern replacement for the VC, i think it is also comon to the cooper S but in a different ratio. Might be worth giving PBR a call.. but im quite sure the VH44 is the one you can get new for around $300.
Michael, some pic's or parts used would be great. I would feel a lot safer with a dual circuit set up. The first car I ever owned, a Series 3B Hillman Minx gave me :? :( :oops: one night when I went to stop at some lights and my foot went to the floor because the MC failed.

I will give PBR a call or email, see what they say.

Cheers Mal

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:47 am

Mal,

I will find out which one wally used, it required a few mods, please see the photo.. wrong side of the engine bay.. but you get a glimpse.

On the LHD cars you can use the datsun Z and subaru dual MC setups, might be worth seeing if they will clear on the RHD.. apparently the issue with RHD is space more than anything (think it was 260z mc).

Image[/img]
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2571998 ... 2410FOCrKD
Michael King

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:26 am

I have a picture showing the other side of the engine bay of Wally's Tiger, but it isn't a whole lot better. I can forward it if you like Michael.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks, I found this link to a PIC OF A 260Z mc but it has two resivoirs.

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/features/z/zbmc.htm

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:31 am

Hi Mal,

I really don't think it would make any difference if it has one or two reservoirs. It's going to look different either way.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:07 am

Mal wrote:Thanks, I found this link to a PIC OF A 260Z mc but it has two resivoirs.

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/features/z/zbmc.htm
Mal, wally didnt use the datsun setup.. will find out what his is off, the datsun one is used on LHD cars as i said, might be clearence issues with it on rhd.
Michael King

Mal

Post by Mal » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:46 am

Does Wally run a booster :?: , can't really see in the pic.
Perhaps your pic might show that Robin.

Cheers Mal.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:55 am

Mal wrote:Does Wally run a booster :?: , can't really see in the pic.

Cheers Mal.
Hi Mal,

If he does, it is not in the pictures that I have (not in the engine bay anyway). My pictures are a few years old, so he may now have one.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:16 am

Mal wrote:Does Wally run a booster :?: , can't really see in the pic.

Cheers Mal.
Mal no he doesn't run a booster. To be honest a lot of people dont due to the fact the originals do seem to fail and also often are not rebuilt properly and either stick or are not quite right. The newer boosters while not OEM are probably a better bet.

As for the feel of the boosters.. to be honest i dont like the way they make the pedal feel. I prefer the brakes without the booster as long as you have the right sized M/C.. the booster makes the pedal a bit soft and not as progressive in my experience.
Michael King