New Kid in Town -Halotron anyone?

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep

New Kid in Town -Halotron anyone?

Post by 666 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:01 pm

It's almost summer and this seems to be the season for new members to appear on the forum, so, albeit a bit late, please allow me to introduce myself.

Last year I took over ownership of CJT666C, (possibly better remembered as the 58 blue Tiger formerly owned by Peter Acres, or more recently, by it's recalcitrance in Swanage- apologies to those held up by "666's" Lucas moment last month).

Being another member from the Colonies, I haven't made it to any club meet yet, but promise to make an appearance soon on one of my trips to the UK.

On the technical front, I did have a question regarding fire
extinguishers, and wondered what the going advice was? I know the powder type is effective, but messy. Here, on the island, I have Halotron in my boat. This is a Halon replacement, and supposedly, a more environmentally responsible extinguisher and used by US racers. That said, it doesn't seem to be available in the UK..... Any thoughts?

Greetings to all the Tiger community,

David.

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 am

Hi David, sorry I can't answer your :?: but welcome to the forum.

Cheers Mal

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:14 am

Hi David,

Welcome to the Tiger community and where is it that you are from, being from a colony? On the extinguisher side of things, buy a good quality unit that has a metal bracket (plastic tend to break and end up rolling about the car). Most extinguishers for vehicles would either be dry chemical or CO2 and should be rated at least A,B&E class fires. As you said, Halon has not been used for many years but was the best at fighting fires. At the end of the day, who cares if it makes a mess as long as it puts the fire out. :)

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

martin172

Post by martin172 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Does everyone have a fire extinguisher in their car?

Mine had one screwed onto the underside of the dash when I got it and thought it was an odd thing to find at the time.

Has anyone been unfortunate enough to have to use one on their Tiger?

Post by 666 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks for the Antipodean welcome- sorry to disappoint you Mal, home is on the right side of the equator ( :lol:) -Bermuda actually.

Yes, powder is probably most effective, and if the fire is out, the mess is inconsequential by comparision. I do like my Halotron, but they don't seem to allow it in the UK.....probably an "EU" issue!

When I drove an International Harvester in the US, the starter on the V8 had habit of seizing on restart in very hot weather- which proved dangerous on hot summer's day in a bad part of town as I tried to fire up the engine and make good my escape, only to be met with silence as I turned the ignition key. The neighbourhood boys look on with interest, and I felt like the lone gazelle on the Serengetti with the lions thinking lunch had just been served.

Fortunately mother of invention kicked in, and I unloaded a timely shot from my fire extinguisher on the starter and left before the pack set upon me...

Hopefully Tigers are less prone to lion attacks, but I still think I need to carry something under the dash!

Happy motoring,

David

gvickery
Site Admin

Fire Extinguishers

Post by gvickery » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:12 pm

David. May I too welcome you to the Forum and the Tiger community at large.

I've been wondeing about an alternative to powder extingusishers but I cannot give you a direct answer either. There are a lot of 'Health & Safety' regs around commercial transportation in the UK led, of course, by Brussels and as you probably know grades of product for different fire hazards.

Halon gas has been a 'no no' for 10 years here (lumped in with CFC's). This web site guide summarises pretty well what the UK market has to offer http://www.fastguides.co.uk/fire_exting ... powder.htm I've always had powder based extingusihers in my Tiger because that is all the market offers in practical sizes.

Please let us know how you get on and don't be taking your Tiger into the Serengetti!!

Graham
STOC Editor