Mallory Dual Point Distributors

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi Tim, great to hear things are sorted for you. Just a side comment for you in the off chance it is news or even relevant.
If original look is at all relevant, you can keep the original ballast resistor in place for show. You just pop off the cover and short out the resistor inside by soldering heavy gauge wire between the two terminals. Pop the cover back on and remount to the engine bay. You then have 12 volts to the coil. A number of guys over here have done that. Since I went the Pertronix route with the stock cap, everything looks original. I did have to run one lead from the conversion unit to a new double spade terminal connector on the resistor output side for power, but otherwise looks very stock to the casual observer. As I think about it I could probably have picked up the +12 volts for the conversion unit at the coil. Anyway, it all does look very stock. That said, go comes before show in my book. My apologies to all on the forum if this is all old news. One of the disadvantages of being new and wanting to contribute. Cheers, Gene