Boiling up

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
paulw

Boiling up

Post by paulw » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi had the heads all done as the head
Gaskets had gone now it gets hotter then before, it boils up in 5min and it runs very sick undrivable like revs up and down ,the gaskets are on right with front to front, stat in ok new one I think maybe the heads after the work are showing up probs 12thou off them, just
wondering if any one else has had this problem.
Cheers paul

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Paul,

As you have already said the gaskets are on the right way.. did you check to see the water passages were in the same locations (i have seen 2 gaskets recently where the watter passages were being blocked by smaller holes and wrong location)

Is the timing ok, i assume you removed the motor.. have you reset the distributor? If you removed enough off the heads the compression may be up enough to cause issues.

Is the thermostat jamed?

just thoughts.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:02 am

Did you have the intake machined as well. Once you take so much off the heads ( and i can't remember the amount ) to boost compression you need to have the intake machined as well. It may not be the first time they have been machined.It could be a major vacuum leak.
Also check for oil in water, water in oil.
Take the thermostate out and make sure it is working. Put it in a pot of water with a thermometre and heat the waterup. See if it opens fully when it should. I have seen new ones that don't.
Good luck.

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:07 am

Sounds very much like an ignition timing problem to me, are leads on correctly? Allso possible vacuum/air leak for reving on its own. Was it out driving in that 5 min's or just on idle? Check rad is not blocked as well. My car got very hot after head work and that was only a timing issue. Once set correctly there was no problem.

Harry

paulw

boiling up

Post by paulw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi I think its all sorted now timing way out carb all wrong and the main thing getting hot still going off the clock , I put one of those heat laser things on it and its only running at approx 80 so it looks like maybe sender unit or the clock so hope thats it ,we will see once it is driven thanks for your help

paul

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:46 pm

there is a voltage regulator under the dash make sure its earthed good .it sends the temp off the clock ,wouldnt trust any tiger gauges there just hole fillers

paulw

boiling up

Post by paulw » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi thanks for that i will have a look ,any one put a extra temp clock in, i better keep the laser infra red heat sensor gun in the dash then.

cheers paul

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:58 pm

your best not knowing how hot your car is you will only worry ,the only gauge i watch is oil :mrgreen: