Transmission Oils-Warning!

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:30 am

Hi Michael,

Are you working from the Tiger WSM or a different manual? Your oil capacity sounds a little higher (as your Tiger is a 302) than the standard Tiger which by memory I think was around 4.8 Litres. Your box and diff sound about right and you did fill them correctly (that's how I fill mine too).

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks for the info on toploader oil capacity guys, I do need to put some fresh oil in after stripping down the engine for a Winter 'refresh' build. :wink:

Michael, in the UK we are spoilt for suppliers who can sell the GL4 rating. Will be trying the Smith and Allan oil, which clearly comes highly recommended.

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:32 pm

Tomaselli wrote: Michael, in the UK we are spoilt for suppliers who can sell the GL4 rating.
Thanks Tony ... just rub it in ! :o

As for robs question.. i had a manual that said 4.8, but my sump is not stock and i have the filter mounted in the front wheel arch.. so there is a little more capacity in the lines as well.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:35 am

Michael,

Perhaps you missed my post to the Tiger List in the USA about my recommending Red Line MT-90 synthetic gear oil, which is GL-4 rated. It is a SAE75W90 oil. Their web site says it does not have the bad reactive sulfur additives found in most GL-5 oils that attack syncros.

Another participant pointed out Red Line also makes a GL-5 gear oil. Also a SAE75W90 gear oil. It is called 75w90 NS. It is represented to have improved copper corrosion protection to prolong syncro life. It is specifically recommended for Toploader transmissions and muscle car applications.

Perhaps that is news that you cannot use. But while you say most in the USA use Mobil 1 GL-5, in the interest of completeness there is a GL-4 and even a GL-5 syncro friendly option available there. Red Line is also well recognized by many as a high quality company. No affiliation with them on my part.

Since there are also some USA members and readers of this forum that might not access the list, I thought this was important additional info to post here.

Gene

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:57 pm

gene,

i was at the part store today and they actually stocked redline gear oil (redline, royal purple and motul are not that comon here.. more special order) the redline was a 75-140 (so not what i needed) but was GL4.. and in US$ was 112 for 4 litres... the problem of living so far away from everyone else!

I did browse several oils.. there are some GL5 that say they are GL4 compliant or supersede.. i took their part numbers and will rung the mfg to ask if they are compatible with brass/copper metasl.. one was the one i put in the tiger.. but until im told that they are safe for the 'box and its syncros i will assume they are not nad continue my search.
Michael King

tigerguy2

Post by tigerguy2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi Michael,

I was just on the Red Line Oil web site and noticed a menu for international distributors. As luck would have it, there is one for Australia, Red Line Oils Pty Ltd, located in Osborne Park, WA. Their web site is redlineoil.com.au. Perhaps they can supply you with their 75W90 GL-4 gear oil via internet purchase or help you locate a dealer near you that stocks it. Or maybe you already know this which is what you meant by special order availability. Just mentioning all of this in case it is at all helpful. BTW, I did check the Summit Racing site and confirmed the oil is not shippable by them to Australia, as suspected.

Also, I recall hearing that Amsoil here in the USA also has a GL-4 oil very similar to Red Line's GL-4 gear oil. Maybe they also have a distributor in Australia.

Gene

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 am

Gene,

Thanks for the reserach on AU suppliers.. :lol: yes the place i found the 75-140 can get it for me if i order through them, same for royal purple.. just the long delay and cost. I needed to change the oil this week so was limited in choice.. will sort out what i can source reliably locally soon.
Michael King

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:20 am

I use Royal Purple on my modern tinbox, very highly recommended especially amongst US enthusiasts.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:01 pm

tony also puts sawdust in his to make it quieter :mrgreen:

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:33 pm

michael-king wrote:Gene,

Thanks for the reserach on AU suppliers.. :lol: yes the place i found the 75-140 can get it for me if i order through them, same for royal purple.. just the long delay and cost. I needed to change the oil this week so was limited in choice.. will sort out what i can source reliably locally soon.
Hi Michael,
Was one of the manufacturers that you rang, Penrite? Their Sin manual transmission oil states it meets GL-4 plus specification or was it this one you were unsure about. You could also try Nulon.
Regards, Robin.
Last edited by gtsmrt on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:34 pm

I was at the historic rcaces today and what a good place to buy oil.. they have the right ones for our cars! I ended up getting a penrite API GL4 gear oil that also has the properties of ATF.. so nice smooth shift and no nassties in it... spoke to the rep about issues i had getting a 4 oil.. they said not that many people stock it on the shelf, would be an order in situation.. yet the parts places seemed ot be confused by the whole 4 v 5 difference.

From what iw as told the GL5 that also meets 4 specifications still contain the sulfurs.. try and get a GL4 oil... and now i have.

Didnt want to use nulon unless i had to.
Michael King

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Damn!! Forgot all about PI Historics. So what product was it then Michael, please tell.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a