Pinion seal

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Mal

Pinion seal

Post by Mal » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Replacing the pinion seal. Removed the old seal 6 months ago and have thrown it away. Just wanted to be sure I am putting in the new one the correct way around.
Also the torque setting for the nut ( thats the one holding the flange on, not the one holding the handle of the torque wrench :mrgreen: )

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:38 am

Hi Mal,

Not sure on the rotation of the seal, but the pinion nut requires 125 lbs.ft. by the Tiger workshop manual. Looking at the rotation of your seal though, it does look like it's correct.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Mal

Post by Mal » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:56 am

Hi Robin, thanks for the torque setting. I will wait and see if any one is definate on the rotation of the seal before I fit it.
CHEERS MAL

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:55 pm

HI Mal

The coil spring, inside any oil seal all ways face the oil, so if you can see the spring, that faces towards the diff, not easy to tell from your picture.
As for removing the front flange on any diff just to change the seal, you should centre pot/mark the nut to the pinion, so as to fit it back to the same position, as any over tightning will put out the pre load and that will trash the bearings very quickly. Probably to late to do that, so make sure you do not over tighten.

Harry

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:43 am

Hi Harry.

Thanks for the reply. I have the seal the right way round then.
I never new about the bearing pre load. I will be carefull when tourqing the nut and hope for the best.
I was going to have the diff stripped down and rebuilt, but with the amount of work needed on the body it will have to wait.

Cheers Mal.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:21 pm

I thought I'd stick this in here as it is relevant. Hope you don't mind Mal.

Question. What is this, how do I get it off and do I need it again?

I'm trying to fit this which is the new pinion seal.

The workshop manual drawing makes it look like it's part of the old seal but I'm not sure.
Help!!!

Thanks! :D

Mal

Post by Mal » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:24 am

Martin.
Mine was the same. It is part of the seal. New ones are different.
The technique I used to remove it was not pretty (hammer small cold chisel and screw drivers ) but it worked.
Getting the new one in is the important part. I had a short lenght of 76ml exhaust pipe which fits perfectly and a piece of wood so I could tap centraly to fit it. You want it to go in nice and evenly.
Hopefully some one with proper mechanical knowledge will chime in as well.

Cheers Mal.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Thanks for that Mal.
I've removed the old seal in a similar manner to yours and the new one is now is. Phew. :D