alternator conversion

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
paulw

alternator conversion

Post by paulw » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:36 pm

Hi
Has anyone converted there car to an alternator, is it hard and apart from the obvious what parts are needed .

cheers paul :oops:

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:03 am

Paul,

Lots of people have switched to alternators, the MKII's came with them stock. Its not really worth trying to find a MKII bracket and setup, its better to switch to a more modern higher output setup.

There are several suppliers who offer brackets custom for the tiger and your requirements will vary depending on which alternator you use. Its probably better that UK guys advise you to what available locally, but a good starting point is going to the tigers united website where there are several artilces on the subject.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Mal

Post by Mal » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:29 am

Paul, there has been discussion and pic's on this topic, pages 2 & 3
http://sunbeamtiger.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Paul,

The alternator change-over is a straight forward swap but you do need some idea of wiring and manual labour. The choice of alternator is up to you in regards to capacity. The generator is good for approximately 30Amps, so you should choose an alternator with a minimum rating of 40Amps (Mk II Tiger's had a 35Amp from memory). As already mentioned, you can buy brackets from various suppliers similar to the Mk II's bracket but can be on the pricey side. When I did mine, I made my own brackets from a plan I sourced from a US owner (worked very well). Good luck with the conversion if you choose to go for it.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

paulw

alternator

Post by paulw » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi

thanks boys will look into it, also any one fitted bigger heads and what type they used

cheers paul :P

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:56 am

It will depend on if you still have the 260 in the car. The small bore will limit your choice of heads. 289 heads are a good up grade. I don't know which aftermarket heads will work on a 260.

If you have a 289 - 302, your choice is much greater.