Hardtop question?

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Ash

Hardtop question?

Post by Ash » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi all

I have never fitted a hardtop to a tiger so wondered if you guys out there could tell me if all Series 4 or 5 hardtops are compatable as I maybe looking to buy one?

Also will I need a fitting kit?

Many thanks

Ash

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:33 am

Alpine S3-V hardtops work with the Tigers. The differences are minor between some tops:

S3 early cars have smaller retaining buttons for the perspex side windows that made them craze faster.

SV tops have the small hook on the rear rail for the soft top bags of the SV Alpine and MKIA/MKII Tigers.. all tops fit the Tigers, and the little hook points are not really that important nor hard to rerto fit.

Long and the short, and S3-V Alpine top will work fine.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:07 am

Hi Ash,

You will not need any fitting kit, as everything you need to fit a hard top on is already there. The hard tops use the same windscreen mounts as the soft top and connects to the boot hinges. Make sure if you are buying a hard top that all the clips are attached to it (2x windscreen as per soft top, 2x side clips and 2x pins to locate in the boot hinges).

Hope this helps,

Regards, Robin.
Last edited by gtsmrt on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks for the help chaps!

Regards
Ash

bigbob

hardtop

Post by bigbob » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:10 am

If you decide to get a fibre glass copy, to avoid rust & weight problems, they can come with crude fixings such as "J" hooks. But can be modified to take original fixings, if not already done.

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:43 pm

i have a big dummies guide to fitting hardtops if you wish to borrow it :mrgreen: ash,one big tip make sure your screen is set right ,i have to move mine on my rare hro mk2 so it will fit ,when it was put on after resto it was not set right ,need to refit soft top too. :(

Tomaselli

Re: hardtop

Post by Tomaselli » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:21 am

bigbob wrote:If you decide to get a fibre glass copy, to avoid rust & weight problems, they can come with crude fixings such
Agree with bigbob, the non factory plastic option certainly a lighter alternative but the fixings are very crude indeed and takes 15 mins with ring spanners to remove the hardtop. It's easy enough to fabricate more "substantial" fittings and the racing boys fabricate external fittings for the rear to save "lift-off" at speed!!.

Occasional somebody has modified a fibre glass top to accomodate original fittings and even the rear opening quarter lights - but I wouldn't have the patience for that 8)

I have and use both original and fibre glass hardtops and if orginallity is not important to you then I find the fibre glass route is more "user-friendly" to live with :mrgreen:

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:58 pm

I wonder what more cost the makers of the FG ones would incur to spply at least a shell that could tae orignal fittings (ie clmaps and hinged windows) to me that would be a very desireable option.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

martin172

Post by martin172 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:22 pm

A carbon fibre one would be nice. A lot stronger, lighter and that would take the fittings.

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks again guys. I will go for a steel works hardtop but need a few training sessions with Geoff Capes first!