Underseal / Protection From The Elements

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
martin172

Underseal / Protection From The Elements

Post by martin172 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi there.

I was wondering what products people use to protect the underneath of their cars from the elements.

I was intending to POR any areas of rust I found (except the holes ofcourse :lol: ) and then topcoat the whole underside with Dinitrol Metallic and Dinitrol Stone Chip in the exposed areas as I've had good results with this method before.

What do you use?

Thanks.

Ash

Re: Underseal / Protection From The Elements

Post by Ash » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:23 pm

martin172 wrote:Hi there.

I was wondering what products people use to protect the underneath of their cars from the elements.

I was intending to POR any areas of rust I found (except the holes ofcourse :lol: ) and then topcoat the whole underside with Dinitrol Metallic and Dinitrol Stone Chip in the exposed areas as I've had good results with this method before.

What do you use?

Hi Martin

As everone else seems to be ignoring your post mate I think your method sounds pretty good to me!

I have personally never used POR but it has had great reports written and Dinatrol products are raved about in Practical Classics magazine.

Underseal wise it all depends on how you want the car to look? Originally I believe Tigers had a thick textured bitumastic finish which self-heals so you could use a Shutz type product? Alternavely you could go for a modern overpaintible stone chip. I have found Upol Gravitex very good and gives a factory look finish. You can leave as is or paint the finish satin black or body colour?

Before you do all of that though get your holes welded up!!!

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:49 pm

Ash,

Just checking.. when you say get your holes welded up.. i hope you mean rust and not the drainage holes.. many people seal these over or fill and paint them.. not a good idea moisture cant escape. Best to keep the small drainage holes and put small gromets in them if you dont want them open.. that way if you have ben in the rain you can take them out when you get home and let any water out that has got in.

As a side note Waxoyl into the sills and the rear valence under the tanks is a good idea
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:04 am

michael-king wrote:Ash,

Just checking.. when you say get your holes welded up.. i hope you mean rust and not the drainage holes.. many people seal these over or fill and paint them.. not a good idea moisture cant escape. Best to keep the small drainage holes and put small gromets in them if you dont want them open.. that way if you have ben in the rain you can take them out when you get home and let any water out that has got in.

As a side note Waxoyl into the sills and the rear valence under the tanks is a good idea
Yes rust holes only Michael.

On my last restoration I used a cavity wax in the box sections which sets over time so you dont get lots of oily leaks everywhare.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:52 pm

Don't worry Micheal, he means the few rust holes I have.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I see that they didn't get in any trouble in marrakech then Ash.

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:07 pm

martin172 wrote:Don't worry Micheal, he means the few rust holes I have.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I see that they didn't get in any trouble in marrakech then Ash.
Oh no not me :wink: