brake servos

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
bigbob

brake servos

Post by bigbob » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:31 pm

I have the Brembo vented disc conversion on my Tiger. Currently running without a servo. As I'm getting old & don't like feel of brakes.. too much effort, I'm planning to put a servo back in, in the passenger footwell. [no room under bonnet]
Any suggestions as to what ratio servo to go for. They seem to range from 1.6-1 up to 3-1. Most common seem to be 1.9-1. Any advice /experiences?

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:17 am

bOB,

tHERE ARE A FEW THINGS TO CONSIDER.. EVEN BEFORE YOU GET A SERVO..

wHAT SIZE BORE IS ON THE mc YOU ARE USING?
iS IT A DUAL MC?
wHAT IS THE TOAL PISTON AREA OF THE CALIPERS?
aRE YOU RUNNING DISC FRONT AND BACK?

tHEN LOOK AT WHAT ASSISTANCE YOU NEED.. MAYBE ONLY A CHANGE IN mc WILL BE REQUIRED..

oops.. sorry for the caps!
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

bigbob

servo

Post by bigbob » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Its single circuit with standard bore master cylinder. I did have a smaller bore MC [until it leaked] which gave more travel & lighter feel, but still not good. Have recently switched to standard mintex pads which have helped a bit. A 2.3 -1 ratio has been recommended for a good feel. Advised that cheap e-bay power boost servos "[lockheed style"] are best avoided. Any one tried one?

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:21 pm

my modern lockheed sticks on all the time ,dean reckons 302s cause too much vacume,i have to keep tapping the break to release it ,or i may have knackard the servo when i cooked the breaks at spa last year.soi,m looking for a solution too. :?

bigbob

servo

Post by bigbob » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Excess vacum in my 302 isn't the problem. Not sure what happens when my supercharger causes positive pressure rather than vacum in the manifold. Assume a one-way valve cures that. Gary.. you may have a Chinese "lockheed "servo that I'm hearing about.