Lead Heads

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
martin172

Lead Heads

Post by martin172 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:00 am

When I bought my car I was told that it was still running leaded cylinder heads.
I was wondering, what are my options regarding this?
I think one remedy is to adjust the ignition or by changing the heads for a set of unleaded ones.
Also, can fuel additives help the situation?

Any and all help and opinions gratefully accepted. :D

gtsmrt

Re: Lead Heads

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:27 am

martin172 wrote:When I bought my car I was told that it was still running leaded cylinder heads.
I was wondering, what are my options regarding this?
I think one remedy is to adjust the ignition or by changing the heads for a set of unleaded ones.
Also, can fuel additives help the situation?

Any and all help and opinions gratefully accepted. :D
Hi Martin,

If they are not already setup for unleaded fuel, you have a few options. You can get your existing heads modified to suit unleaded fuel, you may be able to get some change-over heads, or get yourself some alloy heads. Cost wise, it probably follows in order of my response. Are you 100% sure they are not set up for unleaded? Is your Tiger an unrestored original?

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

martin172

Post by martin172 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:44 am

Hi Robin,

I bought the car from Keith Hampson and he said that they were still lead heads, which would be what the previous owner had told him, so I am confident that they are still leaded heads.
Yes, it's an unrestored Tiger.

Do you have any idea of what the ball park figures are for the options you mentioned?

Cheers mate.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:14 pm

martin172 wrote:Hi Robin,

I bought the car from Keith Hampson and he said that they were still lead heads, which would be what the previous owner had told him, so I am confident that they are still leaded heads.
Yes, it's an unrestored Tiger.

Do you have any idea of what the ball park figures are for the options you mentioned?

Cheers mate.
I'm not sure exactly what the first two mods would cost, but if you took the heads off yourself it would cost less. If change-over heads are available, you might be looking at up to 500 pounds and for aluminium heads probably 500 to 1000 pounds for decent quality units. Some of the local members would have a better idea and could probably point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

martin172

Post by martin172 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Thanks Robin, I'll add it to the to do soon list.

Cheers.

H, Sunny 65

Post by H, Sunny 65 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:43 pm

Martin
when you get your lucas oil all so get a couple of bottles of lucas lead replacer, one bottle treats 450 lt of fuel. check out/google lucas oil products uk ltd. Or take your heads off and replace valve seats at about £200.00 a head, a bottle of lead replacer is cheaper.
Harry

Mal

Post by Mal » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:50 am

I would use an aditive if concerned. I never bothered with the old engine. I have been told that unless you are going to hammer on it you don't need to replace the seats. If you are going to use it for a lot of competition use or towing then replace the seats or run an additive.

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:27 am

Hi Harry, Hi Mal,
thanks for the replies and info.
When Keith told me they were lead heads, he did mention that you could simply leave them and they wouldn't die, but I wanted to explore my options.
It's unlikely that the car is going to be seeing any competition, so it looks like I will be playing it safe and investing in a bottle of lead replacer. :D