Lat 41 side vents

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Mal

Lat 41 side vents

Post by Mal » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:56 am

Does anyone have or know where there is a good picture of these side vents. As the car has both front wings off I thought it maybe an opportunity to do something like this. If we did, we would want it to look correct.
Thanks Mal

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:32 am

Mal in my webshots album there are some pics of the side vents both on a car and a pair on a bench.. think its in the general sunbeam stuff album.. i cant seem to access it right now.. but there is alink off my profile i think.

Otherwise i'll send you the pics tomorrow.
Michael King
63 Alpine SII - 65 Alpine SIVGT
65 Tiger MKI - 66 Tiger MKIA

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:02 pm

I've managed to find a few pics and they maybe the same as Micheal's images also.

There are a few types by the looks of things, but I'm no expert and am sure somebody will chime in with the correct info;

Believe these are copies of the factory "works" version - but I might be wrong on that count.

Copies of the ones fitted to the "Hollywood" car.

Finally, the Shelby version (which I personally prefer)

I have a set of the latter but haven't had the confidence to chop into the bodywork, though am sure they aid cooling a great deal
:D :D

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 am

Tony,

Thos efinal 2 were the pictures i was gogint o post.. the guy in the USA got me to host them when he did the run.

I am not sure how effective they are in getting rid of the heat as they are quite low in the engine bay.. the works rally cars put their cut-outs in a good spot.. but they are not pretty
Michael King

Mal

Post by Mal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:46 am

Thanks for the pic's guys. The cobra style do look good, but I agree with Michael about their efficency in that postion. Interesting that all three are in different locations. Personally I think if you used the cobra style about half between the red and black car it would look good and work. The blades of the cobra style would hide the brake servo. You would have to trim the trim back a bit.

Here is another pic I found on the net. page 12
http://www.transamcars.com/content/07/7history.pdf

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:21 am

Tom,

Just for refrence the ones you refered to as copies of the HSC55 cars are actually the HSC55 cars.. they are pics from when Dale was doing the work on the car. The first shot is from before he stripped it down..

Id have to say the HSC car really does it for me.. its just magic.. the detailing.. the look.. stop me now!
Michael King

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:25 am

Mal,

If you are intereste din those i still have the details of the guy in the USA doing them.. or you can browse them on the teae board.

A side note.. many of the cobra replica parts suppliers sell very similar vents.
Michael King

Mal

Post by Mal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:44 am

Michael, I will talk with my panel beater tomorrow and see what he thinks.
Cheers

martin172

Post by martin172 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 am

Going a little off topic here, but do all Tigers suffer with overheating problems or is it just the cars that have had larger engines fitted?

Do the vented bonnets solve the problem or just improve it?

Was the problem improved on the MK2?

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:11 pm

martin172 wrote:Going a little off topic here, but do all Tigers suffer with overheating problems or is it just the cars that have had larger engines fitted?

Do the vented bonnets solve the problem or just improve it?

Was the problem improved on the MK2?
Hi Martin,

The over heating issues with the Tiger's is more so when idling in traffic (the big lump of an engine in a small space). There are some good articles on some of the US sites regarding this problem and ways that people have overcome/improved the issues. They range from blocking the horn holes, replacing the radiator, electric fans, etc, etc. On a standard Tiger, if the cooling system is well maintained it should give you little trouble. One thing going for you is that it doesn't get stinking hot in the UK very often.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

michael-king

Post by michael-king » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:16 pm

Martin,

A stock Tiger with a good condition stock cooling system will be fine while driving around in normal conditions. If you get caught in heavy traffic.. or traffic and a hot day they will not move enough air through the raditaor to keep cool.

Rootes USA offered an optional engine fan to move more air. They also offered an optional fibregalss bonnet with 2 reverse NCCA style vents and a scoop to get cold air intake for the carb. Both of these work to some extent

The car Rootes used in the Uk for the queens parade was fitted with 2 electric fans to keep it cool in slow moving traffic... on their works rally cars they removed the grill centre badge and bar to get mroe air flow.. the key here AIR FLOW.

In traffic they need the help of more air going through the radiator.. and electric fans do this. If you chase more power aluminium radiators help disapate heat quicker once moving, modern engine flex fans move more air and blocking the horn holes off forces more air through the radiator at both speed and at idle stops hot air recirculating.

The over heating issues are well known and there are many different solutions for them.

If you increase the power in the Tiger they will generate more heat.. hen you just need to take appropriate steps.
Michael King

martin172

Post by martin172 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Hoorah, I knew that having crap weather would pay off eventually lol.

Thanks for the replies guys. Good info. :D

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:11 am

Mal wrote:Here is another pic I found on the net. page 12
http://www.transamcars.com/content/07/7history.pdf
Great find that, a very interesting race history and for a car that was immediately raced from new :shock: