Fulcrum pins

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Mal

Fulcrum pins

Post by Mal » Sat May 08, 2010 1:25 am

How much of a problem are these pins. Was it just the aftermarket pins with the larger relieve's or are the factory ones weak as well. Upper and lowers or just the lowers :?: .

tgr747

lower fulcrum pins

Post by tgr747 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:23 am

top ones do not give any problem.problem is when factory ones are replaced by the quinton hazel ones which are undercut too much around the area where the fixing bolts are.uprated ones are available for the bottom

Mal

Post by Mal » Mon May 10, 2010 6:43 am

Thanks for the reply. I have ordered new lower ones from our local club. I thought since it was apart I might as well since they are 44 years old and rust pitted. I won't worry about the upper ones.
Mal

Mal

Post by Mal » Tue May 11, 2010 6:39 am

Are these ( one on the right )the quinton hazel fulcrum pins :?: . They are a lot more undercut than the originals.Image[/img]

tgr747

fulcrum pins

Post by tgr747 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:39 pm

yes the one on the right is quinton hazel one.quinton hazel never made pins for sunbeam tigers as far as i am aware,what you have is an alpine or minx one.

Mal

Post by Mal » Tue May 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks. I will return them and reuse the originals. I think I will do the modification called the final fulcrum pin fix as well .
Cheers Mal.

Red Race Tiger

Fulcrum Pins

Post by Red Race Tiger » Wed May 12, 2010 10:26 pm

Even better idea would be to use Dales Resto's oversized lower pins and delrin bushes. Not cheep but very well engineered and worth every penny.
:D

Tom_HRO260

Post by Tom_HRO260 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:29 am

Hi - I spoke to Dale Thurs 14th May 2010 and he has advised he no longer produces his Fulcrum pin kit. Thought the update might be handy

Cheers, Tom

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Fri May 14, 2010 9:15 am

I spoke with Dale recently and he did say that local production was becoming a problem, thankfully i have a set of his pins here and it may be worth considering having some duplicated although they wouldn't be cheep to do.
Though these sets are extremely well made and will cure the weak /snapping pin problem they are so large in diameter that they are likley to transfere the weakness elsewhere :ie to the eight securing bolts.
My view on this was to carefully open up the sumframe, gusset and seem weld inside around the mountings before closing it all up again. Additionally i have gone up one thread size on the mountings to 3.8th and used ARP studs with lock nuts as opposed to bolts.
I appreciate that all this is a little over the top for a road car but even just changing to studs with lock nuts would be a bonus for this known problem.

I will speak with Dale to see if he's happy to have his work duplicated and post back if the pins are a goer. anyone who may be intrested let me know.:wink:

Red Race Tiger

Post by Red Race Tiger » Sat May 15, 2010 1:00 am

I have now spoken with Dale@ Dales Resto's & he has confirmed to me that production of these uprated Fulcrum Pins sets are now at an end due to production issues.
The good news however is that he has given his consent to me having limited numbers copied (which is very gracious considering the time he spent to design them) so i shall be looking into costings to have them re made.
Production of these wont be cheep and i would ask any Tiger owners who wish to have these uprated pin sets to make contact.
Also as an additional thought, Simon James@ Sunbeam Supreme offers original pattern top&bottom pins made in either E8 or E16 grade materials.... for the purist maybe these along with replacement the studs with nuts mod are the answer as they are made to original spec and can be used with either rubber or teflon bushes. :wink: