rear crank seal

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
garyv8tiger

rear crank seal

Post by garyv8tiger » Sun May 03, 2009 1:17 pm

has anybody replaced the rear crank seal wth the engine and box in situ.brian postle said it can be done but its tricky.anybody done it or got any tips thanks gary

tigernut

Rear Crank Oil Seal

Post by tigernut » Mon May 04, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi Gary yes it can be done although I have not done it on a Tiger engine,but have managed it on another engine with two piece rear seal[think it was an Austin Cambridge] Bob May explains how to do it Cats whiskers No 11 Page 4.If you dont have a copy I can send you a photostat of the article.Malcolm : :D

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Mon May 04, 2009 8:08 pm

malcolm thanks for the reply,i have a mechanic going to do it ,brian postle said it can be done ,he said the hardest bit is getting the old seal out ,i just wanted to give the guy doing it as much info as possible.brian said he will speak to the mechanic if he gets stuck.is the article in no 11 available on the web anywhere as it may be handy or maybe you could scan and email it
thanks gary

odl21

Post by odl21 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:19 pm

assuming you have a two piece seal (late model 302's had a one piece), as said, it is indeed possible. not particularly easy though and definitely something you'd want the car on a lift for. there is a special tool you can get to remove the seal or you can make one yourself. looks like this: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... WMR-W84019

tigernut

Rear Crank Seal

Post by tigernut » Tue May 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Sorry Gary no scanner / info not available on net .Briefly as follows Remove Sump ;Remove all Main Bearing Caps;To remove upper half of seal carefully lever down Crank to release pressure on seal [this takes up any play the gearbox input shaft may have] Prize or hook out seal with any tools that may do the job .If stuck try a long wood screw[4 inch] No 8 or No 6 screw into seal about 3/4 inch rotate Crank slowly whilst pulling on the screw with a pair of pliers.Refitting new seal oil well push up into groove rotating crank if necessary.Best of Luck Malcolm :D

garyv8tiger

Post by garyv8tiger » Tue May 05, 2009 9:14 pm

thank you both i will pass the info on to the guy doing it thanks again gary