Alpine v To V8 front end HELP

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
sunbeamron

Alpine v To V8 front end HELP

Post by sunbeamron » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi You lucky "tiger" owners, Can you help a poor cousin :cry: ( alpine owner :oops: ) I would like to fit a Rover V8 into my alpine v , silly I know :oops: but that's what I want and so would like some info from you guys regarding the front beam/suspension/steering rack, As you know the alpine has a steering box, this will be in the way for the V8 to go in, how can I convert my setup to take a rack ? Or do any of you know of a beam ( complete) that can be fitted that will have the rack on ? From some other make/car maybe ? Or even A tiger one that someone has "floating" about ( and remember I'm a POOR cousin lol ) The gearbox and back end I don't think will be a problem as done this before to old fords, The car will NOT be a "race" car or even used for fast road, shes an old lady and will be treated with respect, But what I do want is the V8 sound and reliability.
Help Please !!! :roll:
Sunbeamron

odl21

Post by odl21 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:39 pm

it should be fairly easy to use the popular mg midget rack and mgb steerings arms with alpine tie rod ends. you'll need to make up some tie rod extenders and brackets to mount the rack onto the crossmember. www.dalesresto.com sells the brackets and extenders for a tiger cross member but you'd still have to weld some mounts onto the alpine crossmember. here is a picture of the midget rack i fitted on my tiger crossmember after reinforcing the crossmember:

http://owainlloyd.no-ip.com:8080/photos ... MG3914.JPG

i've seen other racks used too. ford and landrover spring to mind but i'm happy with the midget rack.

as a side note, i don't think you should assume you can botch the mechanics just because you don't plan on driving it fast... but i'm sure thats not what you meant :)

sunbeamron

Post by sunbeamron » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks for the info, 1st let me say I have no intentions of botching anything what I ment was I dont need f1 stopping or cornering just good will do :lol: as for the parts you recon I can use I take it that would be using tiger hubs as the alpine has its track rod eyes at the back not the front as on the tiger and the part numbers are not the same so simple swap from left to right sides will not do as I have already been told about the ackerman effect, but its a start so thanks again

odl21

Post by odl21 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:05 pm

glad to hear it :D

i may be wrong here but i'm pretty sure the hubs (not that they are relevant) and the stub axle from the series iv and v alpine are the same as the tiger. you then bolt some MGB steering arms to the stub axle (which are cheap) after filing out one of the holes a little and making a small spacer about 5/8" thick to offset the arm against the brake caliper. you can use alpine tie rod ends in the (reversed) mgb arms. and, yes this also fixes the ackerman angle as you pointed out.

if you have a series i to iii alpine then it's probably worth finding the front suspension from a later alpine.

have you considered a ford cologne v6 instead of the rover v8? loads of people have done that conversion which is a very nice fit. there is even a kit for it. of course if you fancy the engineering challenge of doing it all your self with the rover v8 then good for you! the exhaust headers will be quite tricky. will you be making them yourself? i've always thought something like a modern ford focus engine would be great in an alpine!

also, if you don't already know the saoca.org forum has a lot of active posters with converted alpines, though being american, they are probably not too familiar with the rover v8.

sunbeamron

Post by sunbeamron » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:41 pm

Thank You odl21, : :) I just had a look and can see just what you mean. Can I ask please ? is the tigers anti-role bar at the front or rear of the front wheels ? The alpine V is at the front so not sure if it will get in the way of the rack or not.
Again thanks for the info
Sunbeamron

odl21

Post by odl21 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:47 pm

its on the front, the same as the alpine. its much lower and sits in front of the crossmember.

this picture isn't great but it shows the tiger crossmember with the anti roll bar installed:

http://owainlloyd.no-ip.com:8080/photos ... MG3385.JPG

on a related note, if you were to drive around corners briskly :) its worth reinforcing the mounts on the front of the wishbones. this shows mine after i reinforced them:

http://owainlloyd.no-ip.com:8080/photos ... MG3191.JPG

normally they look like this and can tear out:

http://owainlloyd.no-ip.com:8080/photos ... MG3123.JPG

sunbeamron

Post by sunbeamron » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Again many thanks odl21
Sunbeamron :wink:

V Mad

Post by V Mad » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Sunbeamron
The Rover V8 is not a good choice for the Alpine as it is wider than the Ford V8. If you have to have a V8 then go for the Ford 302 engine. They are nearly as cheap as the Rover engine and fits a treat; and you can use the standard Tiger headers, engine mounts and other parts etc.

If you want performance and reliability with a really easy conversion, go for the later Capri or Granada Cologne V6 engine with a 5-speed type 9 box; no cutting of the body at all. I put one in an Alpine myself so I know all bout it. :)

Chris
Chris :-)
1966 Mk1 260 Tiger
!972 Triumph Stag 3.0V8
www.stagweber.co.uk

sunbeamron

Post by sunbeamron » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Thank You I will bear all you say in mind