engine oil

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
odl21

engine oil

Post by odl21 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:40 pm

just about to change my oil and was going to use 15W/50 synthetic (mobil1) but given the cool temperate climate much of the year i'm thinking maybe 10W/30 would be better.

i have a mildly tuned 302 with about 4000 miles on it and a slightly leaky remote oil filter adapter :)

what do the rest of you use?

thanks.

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:45 pm

Castrol Classic XL 20W-50 for me on a standard unit, helps with oil pressure and also the tolerances are not so tight on older engines. Oil is also changed every 3000 miles or every two years.

check out (www .dot. castrol .dot. com/castrol) and moderators why are links/url's not allowed on this forum?

10W/30 is quite thin but would certainly help on cold cranking in Winter conditions, so let us know how you get on - might use it meself but the Tiger rarely comes out in the cold :wink:

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:47 am

Hi,

I have been using a semi-synthetic 10W/50 Penrite oil the last few oil changes with no issues at all. I get good oil pressure readings when up to temperature and no cranking problems. The Tiger WSM suggests a 10w engine oil. I have heard of some people using a 5or even 0w oil in their engines as well. In my opinion, you should be safe with a 10 unless you have some leaks.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a
ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE AS DAD WOULD HAVE

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:58 am

On recommendation, I moved over in the summer to Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil 20W/50 and I must say I am very impressed. Independent back to back tests with engines being raced and then dismantled show the VR1 protects the engine internals much better despite its high 20W/50 rating which of course is ideal for the V8.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products ... product=50

As mentioned before if the Tiger was used in the Winter then I would use thinner oil, but to get over the cold cranking issue a larger battery does the trick :wink:

odl21

Post by odl21 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:33 pm

or a better battery.

i always use the optima batteries. they hold their charge for over a year, are completely sealed and are tiny considering their massive cranking power. the yellow top is deep cycle but for my tiger which is used at least once a month and has a cut off switch, i use the cheaper red top starter battery.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:11 am

odl21 wrote:or a better battery.

i always use the optima batteries. they hold their charge for over a year, are completely sealed and are tiny considering their massive cranking power. the yellow top is deep cycle but for my tiger which is used at least once a month and has a cut off switch, i use the cheaper red top starter battery.
Hi,

I would definitely agree with your post. I recently purchased an Optima red top battery for my Tiger. The first thing you notice is how much healthier the engine cranks over and starts. I would also have to say that it has helped with my heat soak problem after the car has been left sitting for a while after a run. The standard battery was just going flat and I would need a jump start. They are definitely worth the extra money.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:51 pm

odl21 wrote:always use the optima batteries.
Great tech tip, never come across Optima batteries before it was mentioned here and decided to get one and I must say they are brilliant, holding their charge for some considerable time. That impressed I've installed one on my daily runner, it's also a V8 so took a bit of cranking but with short journeys and tracker/alarm/immobilisers it soon ran out of power after a week but with a redtop Optima no problems what so ever! Thanks :P :P

dpuzey

Post by dpuzey » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Which Optima battery did you buy and where from please? I need to get a battery soon for my Tiger

Thank you

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:48 pm

dpuzey wrote:Which Optima battery did you buy and where from please? I need to get a battery soon for my Tiger

Thank you
Hi,

I bought the model 34R. Since I purchsed it a few months ago, it has been amazing. If I stopped somewhere after a decent drive, my original battery would just give up due to the heat soak effect and I would need to jump start it. Now the Optima gets it away without the cursing. You should be able to find a local stockist around your area. Do a search on the Optima site for a location near you. They are a very wise investment.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:57 pm

These guys were a fair price and delivery was super quick :lol:

http://www.fourleafbatteries.co.uk/

odl21

Post by odl21 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:20 am

yep, i have the red top R4,2 from that place.
was delivered next day.

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:56 am

odl21 wrote:yep, i have the red top R4,2 from that place.
was delivered next day.
Hi,

Have you used your new battery yet? I bet you were pleasantly surprised if you have.

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a

odl21

Post by odl21 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:10 am

yep - i've always used optima batteries. i bought that red top last year to replace a dead yellow top. (it had been left discharged in extremely low temperatures). i had been using a normal battery in the interim (a huge one) but eventually couldn't live without the optima :)

tigerman7347

Post by tigerman7347 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi, I use vavoline 20/50 great oil pressure and changed every 3000 miles

gtsmrt

Post by gtsmrt » Fri May 29, 2009 8:04 am

tigerman7347 wrote:Hi, I use vavoline 20/50 great oil pressure and changed every 3000 miles
Hi,

Did you have trouble with the 10W or is the motor a bit tired? Any trouble with the 20W50 in the cooler weather?

Regards, Robin.
Robin O'Dell
Tiger MK 1a