Tiger Waewe pump modification

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Tigerfan

Tiger Waewe pump modification

Post by Tigerfan » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:05 am

Hi Guys,

I have always been concerned re the closeness of the fan blades to my Radiator, only about 1/16th inch.

When going hard around a roundabout or pulling up a steep hill I do get a Brrr noise as the blades touch the top of the Rad.

I now realise that the PO fitted a standard Mustang water pump (purchased from Real Steel) when having the engine rebuilt, which on closer inspection I can see the pully sits forward of the crank pulley by about 1/4 inch! I have been told that for a Tiger fitment the fan boss on a standard Mustang pump should be pressed back this 1/4inch which lines up the crank pulley and gives more clearance between fan and radiator. I will remove the pump this winter and undertake this modification.

Advice sought as to what/problems may occur when doing this, presumably a hydraulic press will be needed.

Thanks
Rich

Tigerfan

Re: Tiger Waewe pump modification

Post by Tigerfan » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:28 am

Despite no comments or advice from the Forum, I have now used my own knowledge and pushed back the fan mounting boss to the specified 13mm front face of boss to body of the pump, which now gives clearance between Fan blades and radiator.
Rich