temp sender

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
ksherlock

temp sender

Post by ksherlock » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:52 am

Is there a way of testing the water temperature sender unit before removing it. Also if it does need replacing, can it be removed from its mounting block in situ, or is it likely to be seized requiring the work to be done at the workbench and thus having to drain the coolant ?

garyf

Re: temp sender

Post by garyf » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:34 pm

I would think if you have a Multi-meter and set it to the Ohms (Resistance) setting you should be able to get a reading between the central terminal and an earth on the engine.

I've no Idea what the reading should be, but I would imagine an increase in Engine temperature will show a reduction (Or is it an Increase?) in the Resistance reading of the sender unit, a change certainly will indicate it's working, an infinity or very high reading on the meter would indicate it's broken to me.

With regards to removal, I've never tried to remove one on a Tiger but did change one on a Triumph 6 cylinder engine and it came out surprisingly easily.

I presume replacements are readily available with it being a mass produced Ford engine.

Regards

Gary