Oil Filter Query

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
garyf

Oil Filter Query

Post by garyf » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:33 pm

Hi All

I'm planning on doing an Oil & Filter change soon, ready for the new show season.

My car is fitted with the standard remote Filter casting/mounting (Don't know the correct name!).

Is there anything special required to remove the oil filter from the Aluminium casting/mounting which has the inlet and outlet pipes connected to it?

I'm assuming the Filter is just unscrewed from the housing, although access looks restricted and I'm not sure I'll be able to use my normal Oil Filter wrench to undo the Filter?

Also is it a good idea to fill the replacement Filter with clean oil before screwing it back in place or is this unnecessary?

Thanks

Gary
Last edited by garyf on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgr747

Re: Oil Filter Query

Post by tgr747 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:07 am

Loosen the small union nut on the curved pipe that enters the center of the filter.then with a large socket or open ended spanner loosen the fitting that screws into oil filter,the filter can then be removed.under that last fitting that is bolted onto oil filter there is a fibre washer,best to replace it.yes,fill new oil filter with oil.hope that helps.

garyf

Post by garyf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:27 pm

tgr747

I didn't realize that the Centre pipe Union and adaptor needed undoing to release the old Oil Filter?

I thought the Oil Filter screwed onto the Adaptor/Aluminium housing :shock:

I think I understand what your saying, any idea what size the Fibre washer is I need to replace?

tgr747

Post by tgr747 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:57 pm

I think sunbeam spares stock the washers.

garyf

Post by garyf » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:04 pm

Ok Thanks

I'm off to Newark Auto-jumble on Sunday, will get an assorted pack off one of the traders :wink:

Will also keep a look out for some decent 20W/50 Classic Oil too?

tgr747

Post by tgr747 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:09 am

Inside diameter of washer is approx 1 inch.take the fitting with you.you should be able to get oil filter at Newark.

garyf

Post by garyf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:44 pm

I managed to Change the Oil & Filter last Friday in line with the Workshop Manual and tgr747's Instructions, so thanks :)

It wasn't all plain sailing though :cry:

I tried to undo the pipe Union and the filter adapter started to spin too!

I had to scrounge a suitable adjustable spanner off my Father-in-Law to stop it turning, I didn't possess a big enough one!

Replaced the filter with a like for like K&N type but reused the Adapter seal, it was a Dowty washer type in good condition.

Had a very slight leak from the Oil pipe union but a slight additional tweak with a spanner stopped it and all seems fine now with no leaks :D

I can see why people swap for the shorter Filter directly to the Block but some oil capacity must be lost unless an Oil cooler is fitted?

Regards

Gary