wipers

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
ksherlock

wipers

Post by ksherlock » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:01 pm

Are the original Lucas wiper wheel boxes now available or if not are there any others which are suitable for the Tiger? I suspect that mine have far too much free play in them.

garyf

Re: wipers

Post by garyf » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Here's a tip I've read about in Classic car weekly in the past

Assuming Tigers/Alpines are the same as most 60's car (They more than likely are?) and also If it's not been done before?

Remove the wiper arms/blades and mark the positions of both wiper spindles, then you can remove the motor drive gear cover, remove the cir-clip that holds the square end of the worm drive to the motor Drive wheel arm and carefully pull out the drive cable.

Turn the drive spindles through 180 degrees and then re-insert the drive cable after cleaning and re-greasing it, then re-connect at the drive wheel and re-fit the cir-clip.

The drive cable should then engage on an unworn section of the wheel boxes (If it's not been done before that is?!! :shock: ).

It may be worth fitting a new drive cable at the same time, although I'm not sure if these are available for Tigers/Alpines, but they cannot be that different from most other British cars of the 60'S?

Regards

Gary

ksherlock

Post by ksherlock » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks Gary. I will give it a try.

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:27 am

You can buy new wiper boxes. I just put two on my new project (cats whiskers 108) on line from: carbuildersolutions.com you want the long stem £28 each and will mesh with your original drive cable. or phone 01580 891309.