steering toe out (in?) on turns

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Adam

steering toe out (in?) on turns

Post by Adam » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:24 pm

I have searched through the old posts looking for something on the steering toe-out on turns modification, but cannot find much except for wheel alignment.

The issue is the comedy steering geometry on the Tiger. Akermann principle requires steering arms that would converge at the rear axle, if they were long enough, allowing the wheels to toe out progressively as steering lock increases. The tiger does the opposite, of course and actually increases toe-in when in lock.

I have heard of a conversion using different steering arms and presumably, a shorter rack, but I cannot see it mentioned on here. Have many people gone down the route of converting their cars, and if so, with what success?

I must say that whilst my car is not too bad near the straight ahead position, it is atrocious as the steering angle increases and laughable at parking speeds in a tight turn. At higher speeds, the steering geometry leads to quite a bit of understeer and a general lack of precision.

I should add that in the past couple of years I have had the front subframe off and renewed springs, dampers and wishbone bushings, so the geometry is all correct, but wrong at the same time.

I am quite surprised that Rootes produced a car like this. I set up the front end on an ex-works racing Alpine once, and once the subframe was bolted on straight (it was downright dangerous before), the turn-in was terrific. What a shame that the tiger is not the same.

Does anyone have experience of improving the geometry?

Adam..
Adam Moody