Vague gear changes and stuck in gear fix

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
meadowhog

Vague gear changes and stuck in gear fix

Post by meadowhog » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:36 pm

After adjusting my shifter linkages a couple of times and still having problems when changing between 2nd and 3rd I thought I'd do some remedial work. Trying to get hold of the correct parts is tricky. Easily available are the rubber grommets new bolts springs domed cups but the one bit that takes out most of the play is the oval pin that's fitted into the main shaft. It's commonly known by its part number 7A111. All I did was knock the pin out as it showed signs of wear. It didn't look that bad but any movement between it and the lever arms slots is magnified because their length. The pin only sticks out by 5 MM. each side of the 22 dia shaft so I took the chance and used a 1mm stainless grinding disc to cut the pin in half. Then fitted the two halves back in so the worn part is in the shaft. To get the fit right I used a small 1mm piece if wire to get the correct overall length and also allowed a space for air and loctite to flow.
I had to really knock the pin in so its in tight. Doing this made a major difference in how the gear changes work. I can really feel which gear I'm in and can change from any gear to any gear knowing that mechanism has properly deselected one before grabbing another. I would say this is the simplest and cheapest thing I've ever done on the car which gave such a large payback.
I must say that I also but in new gearstick springs for the cups which although doesn't help gear changing it gives a less tired feel and I also made a thin washer to take out a little of the lever sideways movement. I probably didn't need that but as it was out ......

martin172

Post by martin172 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:21 am

Good read.

It reminded me that I found this diagram a while back. Thought it might help others with part numbers.

bernd_st

Post by bernd_st » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:08 am

Good find. I'm having the same Problem - means difficulty to shift from 2nd into 3rd. Is there any source to get these oval Pins from ?

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:02 pm

I couldn't find any. It's reckoned that if that pin is worn then a new shift assembly is required. There maybe a problem in removing and replacing the pin while it's in the car. My tranny tunnel had been modified in the past for a cosworth gearbox so I have plenty of space to work on it. It might be possible if the bolts can loosened enough on the retaining bracket 7348 it might be possible but a check on linkage alignment might be needed.

tigertim

Post by tigertim » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Don't quote me if I'm wrong. I remember reading in Mal's resto he had an oil leak or no gasket in his top plate. pretty sure he said he took off the mounting bracket and undid the 4 bolts on the bell housing then rotated the gear box to get access. might be worth a try.
Tim :idea: