Edelbrock 500 cfm carb - starting problems

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
Tigerfan

Edelbrock 500 cfm carb - starting problems

Post by Tigerfan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:00 am

Hi Guys,
I have just replaced my Holly carb with a new Edelbrock 500 carb. I also fitted the heat insulator gasket combination between my Edelbrock 289 Manifold. The carb is a manual choke.
Whilst the car goes well with this carb, my problem is with starting, especially when hot. In particular from cold it takes maybe 10-15 seconds once the pump stops ticking for the engine to burst into life.
From hot, if I start it straight away after stoping, without touching the throttle, its starts OK. However, leave it for 5 minutes and starting becomes difficult. Touching the throttle seems to flood the engine.
Clearly I'm guessing that the problem is heat in the engine bay, which as we know is pretty high. The fuel line runs horizontally along the top of the engine before passing down the front of the engine adjacent to the oil dip stick.
I would appreciate any advice. experiences of any other forum member with a similar experience, and can suggest a starting routines that will overcome this problem.
Thanks
Rich

Brad1380

Post by Brad1380 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:14 pm

No idea about Tigers yet but the GT6 Is similar, i ended up putting 100mm auxillary cooling fans in the engine valances to cool the triple side drafts
, i guess you could do the same on the horn openings.
Have you a LAT bonnet?
1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1

bernd_st

Post by bernd_st » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:40 am

I run a similar setup on a standard 289 but with an 2 -> 4 barrel adaptor plate on the standard cast iron manifold. It doesn't show such problems. Perhaps because it sits slightly higher. If space allows would try to put a thicker plate between carb and manifold. Furthermore the Edelbrock runs quite rich out of the box. Turn in the idle jets screws a bit and put in main jets one step leaner ( just the needles- see reference chart )...