Fluids

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
cheshirecat

Fluids

Post by cheshirecat » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi Guys

I'm about to step into Tiger ownership and would really appreciate some advice on fluids ...

What additives are recommended for use with unleaded fuel? I've seen some suggestions that nothing at all is required, but more general info suggests that an additive would avoid pinking. Are there any recommended products?

Cooling system - I've read about waterless coolants; straight water with rust inhibitors; de-ionised water with a wetter additive; blue glycol but not the modern red antifreeze. I think I've got information overload .... Any recommendations would be really helpful.

Oil - I've seen Valvoline and Penrite Classic recommended on Facebook, but there was a bit of a debate on zinc content. Again any recommendations would be welcome.

I want to make sure I'm well equipped before I try and drive the car home next weekend ... just in case.

Thanks

Doug

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:19 am

Hi Doug

Sorry a bit late, I don't use this site like I'd want to as FB has kinda taken over. I guess that's your new med blue Tiger. Looks great and a great price!

It's true you don't need unleaded additive. The risk is that the exhaust valve will burn up. Best to stick an additive in I've been using a castrol one but there is no best here I believe. The lead cools and lubricates. What your referring to with pinking is the octane level which I believe has little to wth unleaded. What you may be looking at is a mixture of lead replacement and octane booster which is not a bad thing.

As a minimum stick in blue glycol. This acts as a rust inhibitor and stops the engine from freezing. If you are having overheating problems then look at other options. The red will attack seals-do not go to Halfords, they have about 20 different anti freezes, the staff don't know the difference and the bottles look the same.

The Valvoline VR1 has 1300ppm of zddp ( zinc) which is correct for older cars. There have been many debates on best oil and this one seems to come out top on lots of sites. I have no idea why lack of zddp has been quoted by RS, old oil used to range from 1200-1400ppm.

Simon

gvickery
Site Admin

Post by gvickery » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks Simon for helping new member Doug. I can't explain the silence of Forum readership with this question.

I can say that unlike Facebook your response will stay in sight here for others to read at will, and who knows garner some more responses!
Whereas, IMHO, FB is way to superficial and 'discussions' soon drop 'off the page' and out of site with no ready way of tracing them later.

pushrod

Post by pushrod » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:45 pm

As I recollect when I spoke to Charles at Real Steel, he didn't say that Valvoline wasn't any good just that some other oils such as Penrite has a higher level of zinc, more = better?

Apparently not if you read the test in the following link: http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35836
Bear in mind this test relates to oils in the US, but it makes interesting reading and just makes me even more confused!!!

I'd agree with the blue antifreeze, I use a 50:50 mix.

Lou.
65 Mk1 Tiger 260
66 Mk1 Tiger 260 (African Violet)
63 Ford Falcon Sprint
63 Ford Falcon Monte Carlo Rally replica
02 Honda Valkyrie

cheshirecat

Post by cheshirecat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks guys.

I'd gone with the Castrol Valvemaster Plus as the additive, Valvoline VR1 oil, and Bluecol for the coolant.

cheshirecat

Post by cheshirecat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:56 pm

gvickery wrote:Thanks Simon for helping new member Doug. I can't explain the silence of Forum readership with this question.

I can say that unlike Facebook your response will stay in sight here for others to read at will, and who knows garner some more responses!
Whereas, IMHO, FB is way to superficial and 'discussions' soon drop 'off the page' and out of site with no ready way of tracing them later.
There's some really interesting stuff discussed on Facebook but it's a nightmare trying to find it a few months on. There was a discussion about spares for a trip to France .... It took me all evening to track it down :-)

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:08 am

Hi Doug, glad to be of help, enjoy, I Guess it's your 1st Tiger?

Graham, Any noise on changing the site to square upto FB. FB is easy but not ideal for some of our conversations. I've just put one on FB about brembos but I'll probably end up tacking it onto the end of the tech tip one that already exists and inspired(to be seen) the suggestion.

cheshirecat

Post by cheshirecat » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:53 am

meadowhog wrote:Hi Doug, glad to be of help, enjoy, I Guess it's your 1st Tiger?
Yep. First classic car of any sort ... although I've wanted one for close to 30 years. I'm afraid I'll be bombarding the forum and Facebook with questions over the next few months (years).

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:14 pm

Great, what type of owner are you? Some just want to keep what they have running, some want originality, some want performance or somewhere in between. It's one of the few cars that cover all above to extremes.

cheshirecat

Post by cheshirecat » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:48 pm

I just want to drive and enjoy her. I'd like to tidy her up a bit.

Structurally she's pretty good. Some very minor paint bubbles but not rust induced. The underside looks good. There's no undersell hiding goodness knows what.

Mechanically she needs a good service and tune-up (which is happening tomorrow), but I had 95mph out of her on the way to the garage this evening, so I don't think there's too much wrong with engine.

But there's lots of little details that want sorting. Some minor tidying of the interior, the clock doesn't work, the window winding mechanism on the drivers door needs replacing, the strike plate on the drivers door is moving .... lots of little jobs.

After tonight's little drive, I think performance is fine as it is ... I can see me getting the first points on my licence before the end of the month!

If I do any work, I'll try and stick with originality, but not to the point of obsession.

But I just had so much fun driving her this afternoon. 8) :D

meadowhog

Post by meadowhog » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:29 pm

It sounds like you have the same bug that only Tiger owners can appreciate. Everything to everyone if you are in the know. Enjoy.