Water from exhaust

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
jerryg

Water from exhaust

Post by jerryg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Hi,
I'm wondering who might have an idea what problem I have got with the Tiger. I've had the car about 18 months now and a problem which has been getting steadily worse is water vapour from the exhaust. This is more noticeable on startup and as the water mixes with the carbon deposits inside the exhaust, it leaves a spattered mess on the floor.
Coolant doesn't diminish massively. Engine oil is clean and has always been so, so I do't suspect head gasket issues - or am I wrong there? Water comes from both O/S and N/S tailpipes although marginally more from O/S.
I wonder about a crack somewhere but where could it be to have this effect, the inlet manifold maybe?
Any opinions gratefully received.
Jerry.

redbaron

Water from Exhaust

Post by redbaron » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Hi Jerry,
it is probably just condensation that you are witnessing,as you say it is on start up.
You also mention a marginal loss of coolant,how much and over what time span/mileage

bernd_st

Post by bernd_st » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Also had this same problem earlier. It's most likely a wrong connection of the water heater hose to the inlet manifold. Happened with a new aftermarket manifold which features swopped connections. Check carefully again and get it fixed promptly. Remember different from air water can not be compressed and creates harm to the rods and pistons...

jerryg

water in exhaust

Post by jerryg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi fellas,

Thanks for replies. As to amount of fluid loss, my point was that the amount of coolant loss is minimal but still difficult to say whether the loss would equate to what shows at the tailpipes.
Funnily, I renewed the water pump only few weeks ago as the bearing was leaking water and starting to spray rusty water onto the inside of the bonnet and only replaced hoses as they were originally connected. The inlet manifold is Edelbrock. Are the connections different on these manifolds to the original Ford item?

Jerry.

bernd_st

Post by bernd_st » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Not sure how the Edelbrock is laid out but I had this problem with a Weiand Manifold. Symptoms exactly as you described therfore pretty likely a wrong connection. Cooling loss was also minimal as you told...