Door refurb

Post any Tech Tips or any matters and questions relating to upkeep
V Mad

Door refurb

Post by V Mad » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:59 pm

I have just removed the drivers door to repair the door skin, and whilst doing that, refurb the window channels, and all the rest of it. The door seal retainer at the bottom was rusted out so I will fit a new one using some spare retainer that I had.

Getting the curves matched on the door bottom was challenging, but I think I have it pretty close to perfect.

The little captive nut holding the quarter light assembly was already butchered, so thats out, and being remade with new threads. I found that a countersunk M3.5 screw fits nicely as an alternative, into the smallest fitting that originally was probably 6-40 UNF. Other captive nuts for holding the channel at the bottom were also rusty so they have been remade too.

I have most of it finished now, the window channels fit nicely and window slides without jamming etc. But I remember doing the other door about 3 years ago that the outer window seal is held in by some stupid metal clips. I had bought some new ones, but they kept slipping out when trying to fit the rubber seal. I am not going down that clip route this time, I would rather experiment with other ideas as they cant be as bad as those clips. I tried silicone before but that didnt work.

Unless anyone can tell me an easier way I will struggle on.

I thought this was a two day job, but its been a week now. But once its all back in, and if it looks good and works good, all the time spent will be soon forgotten.
Chris :-)
1966 Mk1 260 Tiger
!972 Triumph Stag 3.0V8
www.stagweber.co.uk

Tomaselli

Post by Tomaselli » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:21 pm

Chris,

Good to natter at the NEC.

Are these the clips you are referring to?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunbeam-Alpin ... 3398700ea9

I have justed fitted them on mine, and they are secure and there is no slipping when the seal went in.

V Mad

Post by V Mad » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi Tony
It was good to meet you too at the show. Yes those are the clips. Since I first posted, a fellow Tiger owner was kind enough to let me have some clips, which, despite my earlier comments, I have used, and so far so good as they are holding. I now need to get some inner strip clips from somewhere, but I think I feel more confident now in fitting them.
Door is now painted (roughly to seal it, respray later) and reassemble ready to fit back on the car.
Chris :-)
1966 Mk1 260 Tiger
!972 Triumph Stag 3.0V8
www.stagweber.co.uk